Help Need huge audio cap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys- this is out of my Pioneer SX-525.
Largest cap in there. Pic is not mine- just attached
it for reference.

Digikey and Mouser, etc can not come up with a
"suitable" replacement....

It's HUGE and the largest cap in the receiver.
Has four posts- two per terminal and
its polarized. Its about 70mmH x 33mm
in diameter.

Do not need exact size replacement, but a
better and suitable replacement. Im recapping
everything else with Nichison KZ's
and Elna II's.

Elna
CE - W
63v 3300uf
Black - neg.
30-F

Attachments

• p1elna.jpg
    p1elna.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 216
Well a 3300uF cap is a Fairly common Value but 4700uF might be easier to find and would work the same , a cap of that value will be much smaller than the one shown and any modern cap will probably be better than that old cap so any cap of at least 3300uF and 63v will work so you have a pretty wide discretion , it will probably be advantagous to get a bigger value cap as it is probably for power supply filtering or possibly an output cap and with a higher voltage rateing and a 105c type for long life.....

;)

I see four in-stock 3300uf/63v radial leaded caps in Mouser, all Nichicons, and not expensive. What is not suitable about them? And in a snap-in package there are 10 more.

ANy modern cap will be a lot smaller than your originals.

And Minion's idea of moving up to 4700uf is fine too.

just a quick thought, you said it is 4 post, two per terminal? cant see from photo but does the cap have 4 actual pins? or just two with two wires?

if it is four pins, its just two caps together in one package, if so, you could probably go up to 10,000uf @ 63v and fit two, standard, two pin caps in the same space as the one you took out. its just from the way you phrased your question it sounds like there is only one of these caps?

apexJR had some 10,000uf 63v quite cheap

hope this helps, steve.

sorry i dont know much about the amp that this came from, but its unusual to find just one cap of this size unless its its from a single sided power supply (unlikely unless its realy old) or its a dc blocking output cap (in which case dont change the values or it will change the freq range)

so without more info, i think, if its only two terminals, there should be two caps like this? replace and upgrade with as high as you can fit in the space

if its four terminals then you could replace with two standard caps, again as big as you can fit in.

asuming its a power filter cap, other advice is caps can be added in parallel (poss to poss, neg to neg) so two 2400 or 2800uf at 63v will give 4800 or 5600uf and probably cost less and be a lot smaller, in power supply filtering more is usualy better.
(low esr computer grade caps can be found in smaller values, so can be a good choice if you can find cheap enough)

you can add a high freq snubber as well, usualy about a 2.2uf poly cap in parallel with the main caps is good but its up to you to play with, maybe 2.0 or 2.8 or 3.3uf

it depends what you are trying to do, just fix a bad cap, or make some improvements while you are there?

steve.

or its a dc blocking output cap (in which case dont change the values or it will change the freq range).

Then In the case of an output cap increaseing the Value will actually increase the frequency responce , so Upping the Value will let more low frequencies through which is generally a good thing , You don"t want an amp that cant reproduce the bass from the source music or attenuates it .....

But looking at the pic it looks like there are a few wires soldered to it"s leads which would imply that it isn"t an output cap , but if it is for the PSU which might imply a single rail PSU if there is no other cap that size in the amp then the amp should also have an Output cap somewere or maybe an output transformer .....

as you say Minion, yes, bigger output cap can help allow lower freq, BUT, only if the rest of the amp is designed for them, and at the increased risk of low freq oscillation, noise, phase shift, distorion and output device loading? unless the schem was available then it may be worth looking at altering it, and then optimizing the other components to suit.

but i do agree with you, if single supply, then also output cap or transformer. so most likely its a power cap, and if split supply rails, and if only one "can" then to me it seems it should be a four terminal device, two caps in one package.

until, we hear from Rockmore, hopefully with more info, then we can only speculate.

hope some of this was of help, steve.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.