"Best" film cap you've never heard of? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2009, 01:34 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

That sounds carefull and thorough to me. I will try the finger bending trick soon. I use plyers normally.
Old 19th December 2009, 01:54 AM   #42
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

The big cap, it will most likely fail if I try to change the lead just any bit
I need to be exstremely careful with that one

The next cap, I just bent the lead right now
And in the the next picture its perfectly straight again
I can repeat it almost forever without problems
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap 1.jpg (19.1 KB, 565 views)
File Type: jpg cap 2.jpg (20.6 KB, 558 views)
File Type: jpg cap 3.jpg (17.8 KB, 555 views)
Old 19th December 2009, 04:28 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltralus View Post
So you're the absolute authority on caps around here? With great power comes great responsibility. Considering the way you started this thread, it was never possible for it to degenerate.
I never claimed any authority or power, but I did start this thread for a purpose. I claimed that I found an unknown entity that performed above my expectations, better than another well known cap I compared to it, and I am trying to make others aware of it. Then the blowhards swept in with all their gibberish about this cap and that cap, no cap, blah blah blah. If anyone is interested in making their own comparisons, perhaps they'll have something valuable to report.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to challenge me and insult my post, but I'm not surprised by such a response from someone who has nothing useful to contribute other than trite platitudes.

I do enjoy reading people's impressions of other caps. I have read hundreds of posts here and elsewhere that describe the sound of caps. But I have never seen any reference to this particular cap. That's why I started this thread. If you think it was bad to begin with, why are you still reading on page 4?

I am somewhat surprised by the frequency with which others rudely hijack a thread with postings that have almost no bearing on the original topic. Some people must believe that every bit of boring nonsense they can think of writing is important.

Regards,
Tom E
Old 19th December 2009, 08:02 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Hi,

just a short question: is the Fostex a Polyester-Film-Foil-Cap or is it "mixed-dielectricum"?
Old 19th December 2009, 08:44 AM   #45
Ltralus is offline Ltralus  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonears View Post
I never claimed any authority or power, but I did start this thread for a purpose. I claimed that I found an unknown entity that performed above my expectations, better than another well known cap I compared to it, and I am trying to make others aware of it. Then the blowhards swept in with all their gibberish about this cap and that cap, no cap, blah blah blah. If anyone is interested in making their own comparisons, perhaps they'll have something valuable to report.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to challenge me and insult my post, but I'm not surprised by such a response from someone who has nothing useful to contribute other than trite platitudes.

I do enjoy reading people's impressions of other caps. I have read hundreds of posts here and elsewhere that describe the sound of caps. But I have never seen any reference to this particular cap. That's why I started this thread. If you think it was bad to begin with, why are you still reading on page 4?

I am somewhat surprised by the frequency with which others rudely hijack a thread with postings that have almost no bearing on the original topic. Some people must believe that every bit of boring nonsense they can think of writing is important.

Regards,
Tom E
Simply that your listed personal posting requirements seems to be that everyone should suspend their thought process and objectivity in order to take part. Everything after that is comedy. You've also contradicted yourself on several occasions by saying things like you enjoy reading impressions of caps and welcome them, when you clearly don't. It ends up with you as the almighty "blowhard" that's spewing "gibberish". You've apparently tried all kinds of caps but failed to name any of them except for the mundorf, where the others, if any, could have been any junk. Of course the implication of the effort lends itself credibility somehow. Your "blind test" with friends wasn't, because you "tried to fool them", and so on. If sound and emotions are so subjective how is it you all agreed, if they weren't led by the nose? Why should you strive to poorly make use of a scientific method of arguable worth to sway us with after telling us in so many words to suspend our objectivity? Had you simply stated you thought X was a good cap, then fine, but you made a big show and tell after laying down your law and it's law I find in error. You seeded yourself a "cap war" and it was evident in your first line "at the risk of", so now enjoy the fruits of your labor without further complaint. You've also stated it's not a cheap cap, know there are lots of others out there you didn't try, but you're done testing. How good is it really then, apparently only as much as the Mundorf SIO, but who is to say whether it was best for the job to begin with, just you. It seems questionable to use the infamy of a supposedly high end product to support your preference, as well as apparently that of your friends. People of course took your bait in good faith, continued with a reasonable discussion, that you conveniently complained about rather humourously by insulting them further: "We hear from the know-it-alls and tried-it-alls who have nothing new to offer other than their own bloated expert opinions". Hahahahaaaa. "bolstering their own smug self-satisfaction that they know something they think we don't" You're such a victim I've soaked my crying towel. All I see you doing is baiting traps, and you're not very good at it. There's simply no inclination to use an expensive cap with exotic foils when it's using the cheapest possible dielectric. It's just not going to be anything special, and there's far better for less money available. So consider there being a reason for nobody having heard of your recommendation, or even taking this very seriously.
Old 19th December 2009, 09:59 AM   #46
Banned

I'd have a question for anyone able to answer...

I've noticed (with a magnet) that the Wima MKS2 (4.7uF 50V) have magnetic leads, while the Wima MKS02 (100nF 63V) have non-magnetic leads.

So (for signal coupling in my DAC) I've thought of switching caps from MKS2 (4.7uF 50V) to MKS02, 1uF 50V.

The question is: is it worth it? Can I rest assured that the 1uF MKS 02 will have non magnetic leads like the tiny 100nF ?

Or should I consider a .47uF 250V MKS4 instead? There's not much room in there... and typical load impedance is 47K, so even .47uF is fine.

Thanks
Old 19th December 2009, 11:16 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea: View Post
The question is: is it worth it?
Is it picking up hum? If the answer is no, then your answer is no.

Cheers!
Old 19th December 2009, 11:56 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima Thule View Post
btw, I wonder why some people waste lot of money on "precision" capacitors, why not invest the money instead in a nice little LCR meter of a known brand for matching etc...

Cheers Michael
I have one LCR but if you want to buy a decent cost 20000-30000 (not the best, but good quality), possibly will be one reason, the other reason is that audiophiles don't know how to use it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Merlin El Mago
Old 19th December 2009, 12:05 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
There's a lot of great sounding caps out there and the ones I have tested for linearity a-la Steve Bench, as well as with my ears have been all under $5.

Extremely low level (phono, microphone): Panasonic ECQ series polyprops, Most polystyrene (those ones you can scavenge from old cassette players) and the Epcos MKP pulse-rated caps.

Line level: Most MKP types from any manufacturer. PPS types. The USA made STK polypropylene are extremely linear under any DC bias (or lack thereof) and sound great AND have steel leads.

High level (power amp circuit coupling): Here's where the PTFE/PIO/MKP/MPP battle breaks down for me... can't hear the difference in comparably manufactured capacitors and nor can most people when I audition amps in public.

Cheers!
In general I agree totally with what you have written.

Merlin El Mago
Old 19th December 2009, 12:58 PM   #50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Is it picking up hum? If the answer is no, then your answer is no.

Cheers!
Thanks for the reply...

Not at all. I was just wondering about sound quality, although I'm already happy as it is. It's more of a slight paranoia about any conductors containing steel in them but I understand that low level signals travel on the surface of the lead, which I assume is a copper + tin plating.

Hide this!Advertise here!