"Best" film cap you've never heard of? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2009, 08:47 AM   #21
beetle is offline beetle  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bequerel View Post
To get hold of these caps you would probably either have to eat raw fish or sleep with a geisha.
I am ok with that. Both of them.
Old 18th December 2009, 08:52 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
Old 18th December 2009, 09:48 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Kurt von Kubik
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
Thank God the allmighty that it is not the other way arround.
Old 18th December 2009, 10:03 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

There's a lot of great sounding caps out there and the ones I have tested for linearity a-la Steve Bench, as well as with my ears have been all under $5.

Extremely low level (phono, microphone): Panasonic ECQ series polyprops, Most polystyrene (those ones you can scavenge from old cassette players) and the Epcos MKP pulse-rated caps.

Line level: Most MKP types from any manufacturer. PPS types. The USA made STK polypropylene are extremely linear under any DC bias (or lack thereof) and sound great AND have steel leads.

High level (power amp circuit coupling): Here's where the PTFE/PIO/MKP/MPP battle breaks down for me... can't hear the difference in comparably manufactured capacitors and nor can most people when I audition amps in public.

Cheers!
Old 18th December 2009, 10:16 AM   #25
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

> T-cap from Tone Factory

4200 Yen (30 Euros) for a 0.5µ PP Cap !!

P.
Old 18th December 2009, 10:35 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
> T-cap from Tone Factory

4200 Yen (30 Euros) for a 0.5µ PP Cap !!

P.
The T-cap is a PP/copper foil cap. Compared to the Jensen copper foil caps with the same value, the price is approx the same.
Old 18th December 2009, 10:39 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

I ordered some Obbligato Premiums some days ago. Being tense how they will beat against some Mundorf "white". I heard many good things about them.

By the way. Do you guys already know this page? Humble Homemade Hifi
Old 18th December 2009, 07:34 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Kurt von Kubik
Well!
I know this will provoce a lot of audioholics, audiophooles, DIYérs and other nice people, but I do regard the "super special, copper foil, wax impregnated, silver plated, gold dipped, grafite infected" components as second grade if not even third.

I´ve tried a lot of them out, and they do IMHO not have any walk on earth what so ever.

Some times though you get the value you´ve paid for precisely, but if precision of the values means anything to to you, forget about it. And precision in Xovers is almost everything and even more.

If the "special audio grade caps" rally need all this extra research, precission and materials, why don´t Evox, Wima, BC, Solen and others do so?

Believe me, they are far from stupid @ Evox, Wima, BC and others and they do know how to make a decent capacitor.
Old 18th December 2009, 07:50 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Sure they know. I dont´t know much about Xover. I mainly use boutique MKPs for DC coupling in output stages. For eg. RIAA filters I go for high precission Micas from R. Jahre. Or Panasonic ECQ are good too. And even Wima. Sometimes Micas are hard to afford.
Old 18th December 2009, 10:21 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt von Kubik View Post
Well!
I know this will provoce a lot of audioholics, audiophooles, DIYérs and other nice people, but I do regard the "super special, copper foil, wax impregnated, silver plated, gold dipped, grafite infected" components as second grade if not even third.

I´ve tried a lot of them out, and they do IMHO not have any walk on earth what so ever.

Some times though you get the value you´ve paid for precisely, but if precision of the values means anything to to you, forget about it. And precision in Xovers is almost everything and even more.

If the "special audio grade caps" rally need all this extra research, precission and materials, why don´t Evox, Wima, BC, Solen and others do so?

Believe me, they are far from stupid @ Evox, Wima, BC and others and they do know how to make a decent capacitor.
Thank God (Il Pope?) for that post, now I can go on with my up-coming tube project with a good sense of relief, I already said to myself it would be Wima MKP without diving into some esoteric audioph**le discussions about "audio grade" capacitors, and the PPS.. which I didn't have a memory of having existed before(?).. looks promising too!

btw, I wonder why some people waste lot of money on "precision" capacitors, why not invest the money instead in a nice little LCR meter of a known brand for matching etc...

Cheers Michael

Hide this!Advertise here!