Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2010, 02:01 PM   #171
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to jomatecc Send a message via Yahoo to jomatecc
Considering that everyone here uses a unique combination of sources, preamp, power amps and speakers no wonder there is so much difference of opinions on capacitors sound quality. Because different capacitors color the sound in different ways they can either compensate, compliment or intensify certain tonal characteristics in a system. So what sounds good in your system might not work that well for others.
Some sound consistently good in many different power amps, pres and DACs etc that I use them in.

The Silmic sounds better overall than all of the electrolytics that I can remember using.
WIMA MKS4 and MKP10 series.

And my 2 cents about solen its grainy and noisy until its burned in, after that its very transparent, pleasant and comfortable for extended listening compared to many more expensive film caps.

Last edited by jomatecc; 7th January 2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 7th January 2010, 03:12 PM   #172
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomatecc View Post
The Silmic sounds better overall than all of the electrolytics that I can remember using.
It's quite possible actually. I do like to use long life 105° caps though, as long as they sound good to me

Quote:
WIMA MKS4 and MKP10 series.
I like MKP4 too

Quote:
And my 2 cents about solen its grainy and noisy until its burned in, after that its very transparent, pleasant and comfortable for extended listening compared to many more expensive film caps.
Ah, finally! I knew I were not deaf! I like how "subtle" and tonally rich the Solen's are.
Old 7th January 2010, 05:53 PM   #173
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to jomatecc Send a message via Yahoo to jomatecc
Andrea trust me your ear is more than adequate to discern quality as well as other listeners.
Solen reputation is well earned for over 20 years, almost everyone knows of the grainy sound before burn in and that may be an issue to some. They are not the absolute best out there. But I discovered that bypassing them with Dayton and foil series cap takes them to another level, details are amazing while keeping the qualities I like about solen in the first place.
A lot of people pay much more for less performance.
Old 10th January 2010, 05:34 PM   #174
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea: View Post
paid for
Duh, big spender, the 50 cents i paid for Wimas was already painfull to part from.

(Mr Hansen used Solen MKP caps in his Avalon products, much to his content i believe)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MKP10.jpg (184.6 KB, 466 views)
Old 10th January 2010, 06:41 PM   #175
Banned

Hmmm...how sexy that Wima MKP10...
Old 18th August 2011, 06:41 AM   #176
diyAudio Member

Wima mkp10 is really very good for its price.Very clear highs
Old 18th August 2011, 02:10 PM   #177
diyAudio Member

For little cap examples IMHO ero kp1830 is the best and then ero mkp1837.They both sound excellent
Old 11th September 2011, 03:32 PM   #178
data is offline data  Australia
Account disabled at member's request

Solen caps are a good cheap cap, but there are better caps for only a little more and much better caps for more than that.

The best Opamp, is no Opamp

Hide this!Advertise here!