"Best" film cap you've never heard of? - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2010, 12:16 PM   #121
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMO_One View Post
The Russian teflon's are my idea of great bang for the buck Solen's are too "hot" for my tastes, regardless of their cost. Hours of burn-in have never fixed that aspect of them for me personally.
You see... you don't like Solen caps because of their sonic character, not absolute quality. Instead personally I'm absolutely fine with their sonic character, as it fits my taste very well. I really don't want my music to sound so creamy seductive, and stuff

Last edited by Andrea:; 3rd January 2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 3rd January 2010, 02:39 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMO_One View Post
The Russian teflon's are my idea of great bang for the buck

Russian again here - the even cheaper K40Y9. If i was manufacturing that's what i would use.
Old 3rd January 2010, 02:46 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea: View Post

BTW, Sonus Faber uses Solen MKP caps

Quite possibly. I have virtually no opinion on cap sound in crossovers; it is quite different to a coupling position, especially if there is a high polarising voltage. Crossovers are also voiced for particular drive units and a truly transparent capacitor may be at a disadvantage.
Old 3rd January 2010, 04:06 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

I've replaced the stock crossover or coupling caps in Quads, Martin Logans, and large Dynaudio speakers, first with MKP metalized polypropelene Solens and later with film and foil combinations -each time I heard an improvement. I have also replaced coupling caps in both high quality tube and solid state equipment with Solens where space and/or budget limited the choice and also used film and foils when possible, again with improved resolution and dynamics over the Solens. Some of you seem to be having trouble with the issue of the MKP Solen caps being good value, but are not as good sounding as the best V- caps, MIT/Rel caps , Auri caps etc. All caps should have at least 100 hours playing time on them ( and teflons even more) before comparions are made. In recent years Solen have added film and foil and teflon caps to thier product range at increased size and cost. Do you think the Focal $180,000 flagship speaker which uses Solen caps uses the best bang for the buck metalized MKP Solens or some of Solen's premium film and foils and even teflon in it's construction? If you can"t hear the differnce between Solen MKP series and
Solen"s own film and foil and teflon caps or V- cap teflons, MIT/Rel film and foils, TRT dynamic caps etc then with the money you've saved you can either buy better equipment or a bottle of ear wax cleaner.

of

fpils

fpiWith the money you've saved not buying boutique capacitors you can buy a bottle of ear wax cleaner or a box of q- tips.

Last edited by ticknpop; 3rd January 2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 3rd January 2010, 04:55 PM   #125
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticknpop View Post
I've replaced the stock crossover or coupling caps in Quads, Martin Logans, and large Dynaudio speakers, first with MKP metalized polypropelene Solens and later with film and foil combinations -each time I heard an improvement. I have also replaced coupling caps in both high quality tube and solid state equipment with Solens where space and/or budget limited the choice and also used film and foils when possible, again with improved resolution and dynamics over the Solens. Some of you seem to be having trouble with the issue of the MKP Solen caps being good value, but are not as good sounding as the best V- caps, MIT/Rel caps , Auri caps etc. All caps should have at least 100 hours playing time on them ( and teflons even more) before comparions are made. In recent years Solen have added film and foil and teflon caps to thier product range at increased size and cost. Do you think the Focal $180,000 flagship speaker which uses Solen caps uses the best bang for the buck metalized MKP Solens or some of Solen's premium film and foils and even teflon in it's construction? If you can"t hear the differnce between Solen MKP series and
Solen"s own film and foil and teflon caps or V- cap teflons, MIT/Rel film and foils, TRT dynamic caps etc then with the money you've saved you can either buy better equipment or a bottle of ear wax cleaner.

of

fpils

fpiWith the money you've saved not buying boutique capacitors you can buy a bottle of ear wax cleaner or a box of q- tips.
I think I never claimed they were the best in the world... They're just the best it's reasonable for me (and my budget) to use.

And you keep talking of cross-over applications, not line level... I'm talking of line level. They're great (250V version) there, again (and always) for the money spent.

Last edited by Andrea:; 3rd January 2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:44 AM   #126
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think I never claimed they were the best in the world... They're just the best it's reasonable for me (and my budget) to use.

And you keep talking of cross-over applications, not line level... I'm talking of line level. They're great (250V version) there, again (and always) for the money spent.
Andrea,

I'm glad that Solens sounds good to you but other reasonably priced caps sounds better, like Mundorf MCAPs or Itertechnik's Audyn Cap.

And some that costs more but are still affordable sounds a LOT better like quite all film/foil caps like Mundorf MCAP Zn, Audyn Cap Sn or the metallized Obbligatos.

I've tested caps in coupling and also speaker applications and film/foil caps were always bettter.

Particularly in coupling apps the Mundorf MCAP Zn is almost transparent both in timbre and details and I can say that for sure because the reference I was comparing to was DC coupling, no cap at all...
Old 4th January 2010, 12:27 PM   #127
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
Particularly in coupling apps the Mundorf MCAP Zn is almost transparent both in timbre and details and I can say that for sure because the reference I was comparing to was DC coupling, no cap at all...
I've also made some comparisons with DC coupling. I really find the Solen's to be transparent... but alright, the Mundorf MCAP looks good as well. However the Solen's are easier to find...

What I'm saying: between the Solen's and the lesser caps (e.g. Wima) there is a jump in sound quality. Between the Solen's and the truly better caps, there's a jump in price. Conclusion: the Solen's are a sweet spot for me, both for price and for availability, besides obviously sound quality.

Last edited by Andrea:; 4th January 2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 4th January 2010, 12:30 PM   #128
Banned

And designers of most commercial products seem to agree with me.
Old 4th January 2010, 12:34 PM   #129
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaveFremen View Post
And some that costs more but are still affordable sounds a LOT better like quite all film/foil caps like Mundorf MCAP Zn, Audyn Cap Sn or the metallized Obbligatos.
I will leave those (and related equipment) to the rich.

At any rate, it's hard to imagine "a LOT better" since the Solen's are really transparent. Maybe you're the typical audiophile kind who expects things to sound seductive (and not that Solen's don't. Just not too much so) ...I don't know you enough.

Last edited by Andrea:; 4th January 2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 4th January 2010, 02:18 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
between the Solen's and the lesser caps (e.g. Wima) there is a jump in sound quality.

Am i right in thinking that the only caps you have ever compared are Solen and Wima MKS?

Hide this!Advertise here!