Pio caps: - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2009, 10:49 AM   #1
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Default Pio caps:

A tip I think is well worth consideration; this came from an old hand at working with PIO caps in tubed audio circuits.

As many PIO caps are anything but freshly made (and most have been sitting around for quite a long time), it is probable that the oil content has gravitated to the lowest side/end of the cap - depending on the storage position. My contact advised cooking them in an oven - with frequent rolling, especially as they cool down again to room temperature. This should redistribute the oil content more evenly.

Just an idea which you may find beneficial.
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:51 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
A tip I think is well worth consideration; this came from an old hand at working with PIO caps in tubed audio circuits.

As many PIO caps are anything but freshly made (and most have been sitting around for quite a long time), it is probable that the oil content has gravitated to the lowest side/end of the cap - depending on the storage position. My contact advised cooking them in an oven - with frequent rolling, especially as they cool down again to room temperature. This should redistribute the oil content more evenly.

Just an idea which you may find beneficial.
Nonsence!
Old 2nd December 2009, 06:53 PM   #3
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Frying them in oil is the right treatment
Old 2nd December 2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hey guys, this is not even funny.

Now what do you think happens, when some person, puts a few PIO caps in an oven at 225C ?

Suggesting to boil them in oil, without making it obvious that it was a joke, is perhaps even more unfortunate.

Magura
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:14 AM   #5
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magura View Post
Hey guys, this is not even funny.

Now what do you think happens, when some person, puts a few PIO caps in an oven at 225C ?

Suggesting to boil them in oil, without making it obvious that it was a joke, is perhaps even more unfortunate.

Magura
Thank you Magura....I should have checked this over in preview before posting.

I SHOULD have made it clear that the temperature needs to be 35-say 40C.

I SHOULD have also said that 20 minutes is enough.

I SHOULD NOT have used the verb "cook"!

Hide this!Advertise here!