I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's more accurate to say, "implausible and unsupported by any evidence." There always could be a black swan out there.

Fair comment. Although there are claims made that can be dismissed without much doubt. For instance, discussions (I've seen) about the difference in sound quality between an original PCM file and a lossless codec version of it - in that situation I don't think there's a swan to be found anywhere (of any colour) :).

I'm not sure that being charitable and allowing for "well, could be" is useful when the truth is "no, it will be inaudible".

Publish your own hifi magazine then,and make marketing easier and "honest".
You will see that if you are right,consumers will reward you.All get the share they deserve.They only need to find the right way to claim it.Empty words and accusations about someone else's products is not the right way.They only serve one in enjoying his "perfection" alone.

The title of this thread was keeping me uninterested for a while, but I decided to peek in, and I have to say, it has a great entertainment value for Saturday afternoon.
:D

I think something's wrong with the recording if people don't like what they hear. You can't really alter the taste of a dish after it has been served. But this is what audiophools do when they alter the signal. Even worse, they alter each and every "dish" the same way.

I don't think anyone here said he alters the signal of his system by choosing certain cables.It is the "audiosmarts" who seem to know everything that claim this.I don't think my 70pf/m,18mohm/m interconnects alter the sound of my system in any way.Do you?

And what did you do to help them?Obviously they were not in a position to have an opinion of their own.A friend of mine has spent more than $90,000 to buy his precious system and when he happens to pass by for a cup of coffee,his blood presure goes sky high :)......and that,not because of the coffee :D
:DOne already switched out his Nautilus 4 way system for one of those pianos that play by itself.:)

If the stages are competently designed, you don't get any audible degradation. The dbts show this and the maths and engineering on D/A and A/D supports it.

True in a perfect world. ;)

Properly designed A/Ds and D/As are audibly transparent - get over the voodoo of thinking otherwise.

Belief in their non-transparency is the same craziness that believes that competently constructed cables sound different - wishful thinking trying to beat maths, engineering and science.

Then why do different DAC ic's sound different?

When a piece of electronics cannot be distinguished as being present or not, then it is indistinguishable from "perfect" and hence for all practical purposes it is "perfect". This is actually not that hard to do.

I guess my first 'hi-fi' system were perfect then, I couldn't hear a difference between the TT and tape cassettes. :)

I think something's wrong with the recording if people don't like what they hear. You can't really alter the taste of a dish after it has been served. But this is what audiophools do when they alter the signal. Even worse, they alter each and every "dish" the same way.

Maybe that's what "audiophools" do, the audiophiles I know try to preserve the original signal as much as possible and to get all instruments to sound as realistic as possible.

Pity about the many poor recordings we have to put up with. :mad:

True in a perfect world. ;)

And in the real world of competently designed converters.

Then why do different DAC ic's sound different?

They don't - well not if they are competently designed and the test is a dbt.;) In sighted tests they probably do seem different but we know why thats the case and its nothing to do with the engineering of the device. The need to believe (and to tweak) is strong, but for electronics (DACs, amps, cables etc) its often not necessary to tamper with levels of performance that is essentially better than human hearing can resolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.