Looking for a hookup wire supplier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I want to stock up on good quality PTFE-isolated solid core hookup wire for chassis wiring. Does anyone know of a European distributor who sells this to private persons?

I plan to buy a big quantity and be okay for a few years' worth of projects. So it's not a problem if they don't take small orders.

I'm in the U.S.A. and if I can put up to 4 lbs in a USPS Priority
Mail Flat Rate Envelope I can ship overseas for $15.50

I stock 24 Awg solid PTFE in White Only
I stock 22 Awg solid PTFE in 5 colors
I stock 20 Awg solid PTFE in 6 colors
I stock 16 Awg solid PTFE in White Only

Steve @ Apex Jr.

If interested prices are on my website Apex Jr.Home Page under wire
I will give my vote for apex jr. I have bought some parts from them in the past. Very good service!

Thanks Steve,

however if I buy from USA I'll be paying around 30 to 35% of the commercial value of the goods in VAT and import taxes. This is why I'd prefer to find a supplier in Europe.

That said your prices look all right so I may be contacting you if my search turns out cold :|

/Kenneth

Wires.co.uk sell PTFE covered silver-plated copper wires, both stranded and solid core (0.25mm to 0.9mm diameters) but it might actually be cheaper to buy solid silver wire from a silversmith (Antwerp?) and buy PTFE tubing separately. It's very boring fitting the wire into the sleeving (use talcum powder!), but you get to use solid silver hook-up wire! Silversmiths usually sell by weight and have a minimum quantity rule, but you can specify the diameter.

Hi Tom, Alas, I tried -- either they don't have it or it's outrageously expensive (EUR100 = $150 for 328 ft!)

Hi barretter, interesting idea, I do have a silversmith friend... OTOH, I personally don't "believe" in massive silver, Ag-cladded Cu is completely adequate for me; plus the PTFE tubing would cost me just as much :no: I found a local supplier for 1mm PTFE tubing who charges EUR 1.25/m (= US $.50/ft) for it :eek:

Last edited:
Yeah, $150 for 100m will blow the budget for most DIY'ers. Especially once you start wanting multiple colors, etc.

Have you looked at eBay? When I wanted hook-up wire (regular PVC 300V and 600V rated), I found a seller who would sell spools of wire of any quantity. I bought six spools of 300V wire and four spools of 600V wire. I think it was 200' (66m) of three colors, 100' (33m) of other three colors, and 50' or 100' of the 600V rated wire. It came to something like $150. I forget the seller's name, but he was on the east coast. Maybe there would be something similar in Europe. eBay.de maybe...?

~Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.