Parts chanel ("$0.49") speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2009, 10:35 PM   #1
553shee is offline 553shee  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Parts chanel ("$0.49") speakers

I just bought a whole butt load of these speakers, I would like to use them for surround sound. I have been told open baffle designs for these particular speakers is best!?!!? I got these speakers without any technical data with them and I dont know anything about them! I know its not as simple as hooking up a whole bunch of speakers and pluggin them into your reciever so if anyone can help me with this id much appreciate it.

I know nothing about stereo equipment, or ohms, watts, and all that ja

GOAL: just bought a 50" plasma, would like to make a theater room. thinking of doing a 7.2 system, thought of making with these speakers all 7 of the boxes with all of these speakers, ALL BOXES WITH 4 AND THE CENTER WITH 8 WITH A TOTAL OF 32 SPEAKERS.
Old 29th November 2009, 12:15 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Can you give us a URL for these, so we know which you got?

dave
Old 29th November 2009, 02:01 AM   #3
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 553shee View Post
I just bought a whole butt load of these speakers, I would like to use them for surround sound. I have been told open baffle designs for these particular speakers is best!?!!? I got these speakers without any technical data with them and I dont know anything about them! I know its not as simple as hooking up a whole bunch of speakers and pluggin them into your reciever so if anyone can help me with this id much appreciate it.

I know nothing about stereo equipment, or ohms, watts, and all that ja

GOAL: just bought a 50" plasma, would like to make a theater room. thinking of doing a 7.2 system, thought of making with these speakers all 7 of the boxes with all of these speakers, ALL BOXES WITH 4 AND THE CENTER WITH 8 WITH A TOTAL OF 32 SPEAKERS.

How big is the room ? most ppl think that 7.1 will sound good in any room, 7.1 only sounds decent if there is enough space and room for it, other than that 5.1 will be just as good. Small room = 5.1 big room = 7.1

What type or receiver do you have ?
Old 29th November 2009, 02:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I bought them off of Craigslist. heres a couple pics, hope they work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0599.JPG (458.0 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0602.JPG (587.2 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0601.JPG (507.5 KB, 180 views)
Old 29th November 2009, 03:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The room is about 14W 16L and i have to put it on the 16' wall because one of the 14 ends is entry and the other has a window. The coolest thing about this room is there is attic like storage in the walls, so technicly there is a double wall and I will be able to hang the Plasma on the wall and be able to run all the wiring through the wall.
Old 30th November 2009, 07:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know exactly what these speakers are called, this is the link that the guy i bought them from gave me. Open Baffle Line Array Speakers
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:15 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your reply, it will help me a lot trying to figure out what configurations to set these up at.

I found this receiver, Pioneer USA - Pioneer A/V Receivers as i said before I know nothing about this sorta thing, so I guess im basing my decision for this reciever because it looks good price is right and im asuming Pioner is a good enough brand for HT.

On the specs of this receiver it says 1 kHz w// 0.05% THD @ 8 ohm and on the specs of the speakers on that provided web site it says the speakers are *Znom: 8 ohms *Re: 7.50 ohms. so if i wanted to run 4 of these speakers would i simply hook them up paralel?

and for the final question... what you guys think, boxes or open baffle?

Thanks for all the help.
Old 2nd December 2009, 07:35 PM   #9
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, if you hook four of these in parrallel you will have a 2 Ohm load. Most amplifers won't be happy with this.

You could wire them two in series and then the two pairs in parallel. This would give you an 8 ohm load. However the speakers may not sound at their best this way.

I would wire two in parrallel and use them as 4ohm speakers.

As for OB against sealed box. Do you have a subwoofer as OB designs do not play very deep.

Regards,
Andrew
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:54 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your reply, getting more better learnin about this stuff!!!

No I do not yet have a sub, the only thing i have for my HT system so far is 64 of these little speakers and the 50" plasma!!! Im piecing things together from paycheck to paycheck with what little i have left to spare these days. I'd like to make boxes for these speakers because I think it would look much nicer that way, but the gentlemen that sold me these speakers said they would sound better with OB is there really going to be that much difference?

I have a buddy that does laser cutting I was thinking of doing a really intricate design for some speaker grates/covers, using some very expencive polished stainless pieces. or I can go another route with a different friend of mine who does CNC machining and can make something super nice, have it anodized and post machined to give it a really nice look to it.

Hide this!Advertise here!