Lenovo Power Supply Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2009, 04:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Lenovo Power Supply Help

I have to preface this post by saying that it's my first, and I'm extremely new to the DIY game. With that in mind, please go easy on me if this is a completely boneheaded inquiry or if this post is in the wrong part of the forum.

So I'm going to attempt building my first DIY project, a B1 Buffer Preamp, and I'm hoping to use a spare power supply for my Lenovo Z61t.

What I'm trying to accomplish is just be able to plug the existing power supply, unmodified, into the preamp. In order to do this, I'm assuming I'd need to find a compatible DC input jack, which appears to be non-existent everywhere I look on the web.

The power supply has a large barrel-type connector with a pin in the center that is unlike anything I can find a receptacle for online. The power supply is this:

IBM Lenovo laptop charger/AC adapter/power 20V 3.25A OZ - eBay IBM, AC Adaptors, Laptop Accessories, Computers. (end time 26-Nov-09 00:11:23 AEDST)

All that being said, I'm sure I could just cut off the plug at the end and either 1) use the individual wires or 2) reattach an plug at end that is more universal.

I guess I just wanted to see if anyone has run into a similar issue/knows where I might be able to find a DC input jack for this particular adapter or can comment on my two proposed alternate solutions, above.

Thanks in advance for your patience and any assistance you might be able to provide!
Old 18th November 2009, 12:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Radio Shack stocks certain of those power connectors - they unfortunately come in a lot of different sizes. have to get both the outer diameter and the inner pin diameter right. MCM electronics has them via mail order.

Charles

Hide this!Advertise here!