RadioDaze out of the tube business

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...report back with details on their melting point, and how many I need to wire together to make my 500 watt load resistor glow.

Hmm. I'd rather wire the heaters in series and plug them into the 120V to make a nice old fashioned heater for my friend's studio. And for that matter, why not make a delay line by making class a amplifiers with each one and hooking them all up in series? Maybe you could get about 16ms delay with 81tubes at 1kHz...:D

Too late someone already grabbed the 6AV5's and the 6CU6's.

Yeah, I got there too late to pick up that package. Those went pretty fast.

I couldn't say no to 81 6BQ6GA's for $50. For 62 cents each, I will report back with details on their melting point, and how many I need to wire together to make my 500 watt load resistor glow.

Me neither. The 6BQ6GAs work just the same with the Le Renard design. Just a minor bias tweak, and they were good to go. Look somewhat more impressive than the 6BQ6GTBs. :) They might even sound a bit better as well.

Hmm. I'd rather wire the heaters in series and plug them into the 120V to make a nice old fashioned heater for my friend's studio.

A room heater would be easy, just wire the two 500 watt resistors in series and plug them into the wall outlet. Heat is not needed or wanted since the temperature here will hit the 80's or 90's all but about 10 days a year.

I have a pair of 400 watt P-P OPT's and I have been looking for a low cost efficient way of using their full potential. I may try a few of these in parallel just to see what happens.

I do plan to explore the upper limits of these tubes. I bought some 6BQ6GT's when AES put them on sale for 98 cents each. I had no problem extracting 90 watts from a pair of them in screen drive, but when I got greedy and cranked things up a bit more one tube arced over and died. The efficiency was very good up until the kaboom. I got some 6BQ6GA's on the second AES order (after they said that they didn't have any) but most of them were junk (gassy).

That sux! I got a set of 4 NOS 12ax7 tubes from them about a year ago. A Blackburn Mullard, a Diamond Telefunken, a Raytheon and a MI Spain "United." All nice. They charged me their normal $20 or so each! I made no mention of it on the internets. ;)

I also used them for NOS 5y3's to avoid the Sovteks and for NOS 6SL7's (also to avoid Sovteks.)

:(

I think VacuumTubes.net bought their department out, hence the boxed blitzes:.....I couldn't say no to 81 6BQ6GA's for $50. For 62 cents each

I got the box today. VacuumTubes.net is only 250 miles away and UPS is 1 day within Florida.

I have opened about half of the 81 tubes. Most are NOS tubes in the correct boxes although some are really old. There is one old Philco from the stone age. Several "Arcturus" which are relabled RCA's. Lots of Dumonts which are relabled Sylvanias. I have found about 5 tubes that are obviously used and don't match the boxes. In one case thaer was a used GE 6AH4 in a Tung Sol 6BQ6GA box.

There are several different types and constructions, but matched quads should be no problem. Matched sextets or octets maybe. I want to make two mathed sets of as many as possible for an attempt at a monster P-P amp. The matching does not need to be perfect, but all tubes should be of the same construction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.