Russian oil caps ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I would like to tap into the expertise of the members of this forum, not being all that knowledgeable myself. ;)
In searching for a couple of paper in oil caps I came across the offerings of mr. Tony Welsh esq.
What I would like to know is, are these russian oil caps he's selling just as good as / much better than / wouldn't use them if they gave 'em away for free compared to the "established" caps by Cornell D., Sangamo, Aerovos, etc.?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Martin

Martin,

I've used the Russian capacitors from Tony Welsh. They seem fine to me. I can't compare them with "boutique caps" as I don't use them.
The finish is dipped paint (which tends to flake), and is probably less atractive than many western types, but perfectly adequate for under-chassis work.
Be aware that some are rated at AC voltage, and others at DC.
The AC caps should be useable up to 1.4 x the ratings with DC, though presonally I would treat that as a "surge rating" - perhaps during warm-up time etc.

Cheers,

I have used many MIT Multicaps, even though they sound detailed, but dry, not like live music. The US NOS oil caps increase the bass weight, dynamic and liveness of the sound. The Russian oil caps complement the US oil caps by enhancing more details.

The Russian oil caps sound similar to the Western Electric NOS oil caps: detailed but lacking a little bit in bass & body weight.

To my ears, all of the plastic (polypropylene, polystyrene, and mica) caps sound detailed, but dry, thin, hard & brittle, not alive.
My system is CD based.:nod:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I have used many MIT Multicaps, even though they sound detailed, but dry, not like live music.

I'd blame the CDP for that in the first place.
My system is vinyl based and I feel no need to submerse it in oil...(sorry Peter Daniel, couldn't resist.. ;) )

Oh, and in case you wonder, this " chef the cuisine" as more recipes against digititis up his sleeve too.:mafioso:

Cheers,;)

Frank

How about home theater and car stereo system???

They do not have the "perfect frequency response" of a needle!!!

In reality, not many people has time to clean a vinyl, lift a needle, then gently put it on a groove, then hear some crackling noises, reminding them that they are listening to some noises, not existing when the live music is played.;)

fdegrove said:
Hi,

I'd blame the CDP for that in the first place.
My system is vinyl based and I feel no need to submerse it in oil...(sorry Peter Daniel, couldn't resist.. ;) )

Oh, and in case you wonder, this " chef the cuisine" as more recipes against digititis up his sleeve too.:mafioso:

Cheers,;)

My system in vinyl only, and I still think that Solens are just plain bright, and my $2 russian PIO's are significantly better.

...haven't tried the more expensive polyprop's.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.