Mechanical Gears, where to buy cheap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where can I buy some gears to use with my control shafts (balance, vol., etc....)?

Here is what I would like to find, but cannot figure out where to go to get (pictured below):

http://www.wmberg.com/catalog/viewpart.cfm?part=PHS95-46

Nice metal ones with locking or set screws would be ideal, though I could live with plastic or nylon. So we are talking about maybe a 1 or 2 inch diameter at most. In other words, where is the mechanical equivalent of digikey? Also, how much would these cost?

- thanks in advance.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

SY said:
Did you try McMaster Carr?

That's what I was going to recommend (along with Small Parts, Inc.) until I saw that $11 was too expensive and he's hoping to pay $2. Unless he manages to find something at some sort of surplus store, or finds something at a thrift store that he can take apart and salvage a gear, I don't think he's going to have much luck.

se

More links

www.bearings.com (check under power transmission)
www.sdp-si.com
www.bostongear.com
www.skiffy.nl

Why do you want metal and not plastic?

For applications without a lot of torque, plastic can be ordered a little "tight" to avoid backlash and will provide smoother operation due to the "flex" in the material. Plastic is also more easily press fit so no set screw to loosen over time. Check out different plastics like delrin, abs, or polyethylene (low or high density).

:)ensen

Great ideas- thanks.

Thanks everyone, these are great suggestions that I would not have found on my own. Even if they are a little steep on the price that's ok with me. Keep the ideas coming. Thanks very much.

note- no real preference for metal other than it looks like its higher quality.

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party

Hello,

I do realize this is an old topic, but I figure if I found it, others likely will also.Recently, I took 3 retired laser printers apart. I salvaged:

• over 60 gears
    • 4 rack & pinion sets
    • quite a number of compound gears
      • some have two pitches
    • 2 internal gears
    • many, many spur gears
    • quite a few helical gears
  • 4 stepper motors
  • a couple dozen stainless rods
  • several aluminum tubes
  • beau coup tiny screws
  • many rollers
  • capacitors
  • heat sinks
  • wires
  • connectors
  • lasers
So, now you know what to do with that/those old printer(s) you couldn't bear to part with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.