A Long Shot. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd September 2009, 03:34 PM   #1
w00b is offline w00b  United States
diyAudio Member

Default A Long Shot.

Hello fellow DIYers, I have a big project that I'm going to try to set in motion very soon. I'm trying to work out the final problems and I need your help.

Heres my situation. I have a very old stereo reciever. It's an AKAI AM-A70. It is hooked to an AKAI EA-A2 equalizer. I have an RCA Y splitter running from my PC, to the EQ, the signal gets EQ'd and passed to the reciever. So that works fine.

But i'm going to add a subwoofer. Problem number one. No subwoofer output, no output what-so-ever on the reciever. Solution number one: For whatever reason, the EQ has 2 simultaneous outputs on it. I have tested both running at the same time.

Now here's where it gets tricky. Problem number two. No crossover from the EQ to the subwoofer's amplifier. Solutions: I have considered the FMOD crossovers found on parts express. I heard that they werent PERFECT, but they get most of the job done.

and the most tricky of all, problem number three. No signal attenuation. The volume on my PC is obviously always at max, leaving my reciever with full signal to work with at all times and i can adjust the volume as i please. However, the EQ will be passing a constant full signal to my subwoofer amplifier, which will be a Behringer EPxxxx series (I havent decided which one yet.) MY QUESTION: does the GAIN on an amplifier act as a signal attenuator? would it be plausible to use that as a volume control, or do i need to perhaps have a small attenuation circuit inbetween the EQ and the Sub amp?

PLEASE if you have taken the time to read my post, help me out! and no i'm not going to go and buy a new reciever, I want to try something a bit different. thanks DIYers, I'm sure you know all about being different
Old 22nd September 2009, 04:59 PM   #2
w00b is offline w00b  United States
diyAudio Member

I MIGHT have found a plausible solution for my third problem. My reciever actually has 4 channels. I have located a speaker wire to RCA male converter below. I think i can use the remaining 2 channels and convert them to rca inputs to go into my amplifier. this would solve all 3 problems, besides the crossover. What do you guys think?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136CLR2...W.html?tp=2610
Old 22nd September 2009, 05:52 PM   #3
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

The inexpensive solution to your problem would be a crossover in front of a 4 channel receiver.

The receiver would give you 4 channel volume control.
I recommend the DCX2496 as a crossover because it has the capability to do parametric equalization on the subwoofer, as well as acting as a crossover.
I love mine, and found the PC interface made it easy (for me) to use.
However, a less expensive analog crossover can be used,

If you need a separate woofer amp, you need a 4 channel volume control.

HTH

Doug

Hide this!Advertise here!