Velleman K4700/ K4701 - Loudspeaker Protection Kit for car audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys. Total newbie here, so bear with me please.

This is regarding using either the Velleman K4701, K4701B or the K4700 DC protection for my car's loudspeakers.

My car equipment is as follows:
Amp (x1)
Loudspeakers (x4) db6501

(I have just found THIS, and am not sure whether it is a viable alternative)

The reason for this is that I recently fried the coils in three of the 4 speakers (all tweeters survived), and am about to replace them with a new set, as mentioned above, the Polk db6501. I want to ensure this will not happen to the new set, and am hoping either of those kits will be suitable.

The main question is, which kit is most suitable for my application, given my equipment, and how do I go about wiring these in? I am a total newbie, and will need a careful explanation if at all possible!

Thanks for looking.

The main differences are:

The first two kits require no externally provided DC power. It should be simpler to wire those. They're the same circuit, just rated for different power output. I haven't used them but they're been reported to work Ok

The third circuit is with an integrated transformer and is of no use to you.

The last one should be ok for you, it's designed for 12 supply already. It is for stereo so it protects two speakers. If you've got 4 speakers, you'll simply need two boards. The wiring is simple, the output of the amp goes in the protection board and the output of the protection board goes to the speaker.

Great. So the eBay solution is my best bet? It does not require power, just as the first two Velleman kits? Just wire it in as you stated- between amp and loudspeaker on positive wire? Also, I have external crossovers (for mids and tweeters, as shown on speaker site). Should I place the protection between amp output and crossover (prob makes most sense) or between crossover and mids?

Finally, if best to place before crossovers, is it good practice to place the dc protection boards near the amp output, as it would be easiest to implement.

Thanks for the info!

Regards

I would first look for the reason why the drivers were blown - if the amp's faulty, all the DC-protection will do is to go in protection.

Have fun, Hannes

I have tested the amp for DC, and it functioned fine. The source may be the head unit, although I am not certain... It may be some sort of anomaly, and something I do not expect to see occuring very often. If it does, which shouold be rarely, it is nice to have the DC protection :) If it happens more often, i will look into the source of the issue.

For now, under Atilla's recommendation, I have ordered two boards from eBay. Will keep you posted as I await the items to arrive from Thailand.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.