Best electrolytic capacitors

[Nichicon KA] My prefered for the the time being. Seems like they add an extra octave in the bass . Soundstage is deep and detailed.

I'm wondering if that "extra octave" wasn't achieved through less midbass - so the lower bass becomes more prominent. The overall sound is pretty dry. But yes, it will occasionally surprise you with a flurry of lower notes that you never knew before to exist on your CD. OTOH the upper end could be more fluid.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hello Diy'ers,

I've noticed your talk about magnetic leads on electrolytics in this thread and wonder if there is a sort of general guideline as to which capacitors has magnetic lead assemblies and which don't? Like "manufacturer this & this use magnetic leads whereas this & this manufacturer don't".

Has this been discussed somewhere?

Cheers,

Jesper

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The standard is ferro lead wires so copper wires today are an exception. This means in practice nearly all recent electrolytic caps have ferro wires. You will have to use so-called audio types to have tinned copper lead wires and even then you will have to be cautious as some manufacturers don't even mention the choice of materials in the data sheet. I experienced the use of aluminium lead wires too but that is better than ferro...

Industrial caps have ferro wires in 99% of the cases. Copper is an expensive material these days. I fought it but lost the battle with ferro caps and use caps with ferro wires as they can be quite good (depending on brand and type).

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
@ jean-paul:

The standard is ferro lead wires so copper wires today are an exception. This means in practice nearly all recent electrolytic caps have ferro wires. You will have to use so-called audio types to have tinned copper lead wires and even then you will have to be cautious as some manufacturers don't even mention the choice of materials in the data sheet. I experienced the use of aluminium lead wires too but that is better than ferro...

Industrial caps have ferro wires in 99% of the cases. Copper is an expensive material these days. I fought it but lost the battle with ferro caps and use caps with ferro wires as they can be quite good (depending on brand and type).

Thanks for the feedback ;-)

Jesper

4700 uF, actually. It's a bit low for memory, but maybe some standby settings could be kept for a few minutes.

The super-caps used for memory generally have values in Farads, not mF.
Yes, you're right.

But being labeled differently (4.7 mF instead of 4700uF) and having this "SB" series mark on could also mean it was designed for backup memory os something similar. Otherwise one could just put a normal 4700uF 10V (or 6800uF 10V) and the work is done? :scratch2:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
ECR0219B.jpg

Last edited:
maybe mF mean memory farads ...:D

from where Im sitting memory caps are only max 5.5V
and called double layer caps
and a very big sized cap like that one, with low voltage, must be be a memory cap with farad capacity
actually it appears to be a 5.5V, so....

Ok, tinitus and folks! Thanks!

Yes, it's double layer cap and the 5.5V, thus backup memory cap.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

EPCOS B41505

EPCOS B41505

Has anyone listened to this model, for main filtering? (not to be confused with the Sikorel model)

I found it reasonably priced at Mouser for what the spec sheet calls out; incredible ripple and ESR numbers.

But not being a big numbers guy...

Very interesting. According to its DS, the 3300uF 100V presents 7.7A of RC capability... Putting 4x of those in parallel and you have a nice 13200uF per rail for a 12000uF replacement...

http://uk.farnell.com/epcos/b41505a9338m000/cap-alum-elect-3300uf-100v-can/dp/2283923