Best electrolytic capacitors

You folks do understand that this is for an SMPS, right? And that the technical and engineering requirements for SMPS caps are extremely critical, else there's flashes, bangs, and smoke? And that boutique fashion caps are almost certainly unsuitable for this application?

Unless you know more about SMPS design than the guy who designed the supply (and I seriously doubt it), hands off.

i tested out again using the silmics as decoupling caps somehow felt again bad took them out.. bad in the sense its taking out all the details and its definitely not the neutral cap. Silmic will fit very well in entry level systems where the sound is rough but believe me it robs all the texture in the mid band... strange i really dont understand how people are liking it... my caps are genuine from Digikey.. checked with them... somehow things are not good i just gave up... if anybody has any tips using silmics do let me know as after reading the reviews I got 200 caps of slilmics worrying that they might demise as blackgates...

I like clear and no muffling sound do you think silmic will do that?

i tested out again using the silmics as decoupling caps somehow felt again bad took them out.. bad in the sense its taking out all the details and its definitely not the neutral cap. Silmic will fit very well in entry level systems where the sound is rough but believe me it robs all the texture in the mid band... strange i really dont understand how people are liking it... my caps are genuine from Digikey.. checked with them... somehow things are not good i just gave up... if anybody has any tips using silmics do let me know as after reading the reviews I got 200 caps of slilmics worrying that they might demise as blackgates...

I like clear and no muffling sound do you think silmic will do that?

Yes if your setup is ok.

We can't always afford polypropylene capacitors, much less
Teflon (tm), so we often make do with electrolytics when
we need those higher values.

There's all sorts of caps out there with claims to being better,
and they certainly are more expensive.

My favorite is the Elna silk capacitors, available from Digikey,
and really cheap. The measure spectacularly, sound great,
and the manufacturer's translated description of why they
sound better is a Babelfish classic.

So before you run out and spend a lot on the highly hyped
spendy caps, try the Elna silk caps.

There's hemp in them, too.

:cool:

agree !!!!!!!!!!!! but not for every purpose. For analog the best I think.

not dark at all

I replaced all non film caps in my B&O cd player (1991) yesterday. All power supply elco's now are panasonic FR, 5 off those. A dozen silmicII for other possitions.

Sound prior to replacing was very sweet LOL, lead vocals mostly 1 meter behind speakers, after replacement (and only 10 hours burn-in) there is a massive amount more high frequencies, also a more powerfull and detailed low's, leadvocals now 2 meters in front of loudspeakers a very open sound:)

Old elco's probably were near death or beyond LOL but I would not want any elco's even brighter than these. Not dark at all these silmics!

This is not true.

Pannasonic FM features Copper leads, which all caps do.
A lot of them even OFC copper.
Btw. the panasonic FM is the electrolytic cap with the lowest ESR anyway.
You cannot fit steel to aluminium without a complex proces, så you´ll never find steel in places like that.

The coil is aluminium, and in larger cans the terminals are also aluminium.

Panasonic FM capacitors have tin plate copper clad steel leads. They are definitely magnetic. the vast number of electrolytic capacitors have steel leads which are copper clad then tin plated.

All of those sound very poor, in my experience. I'll use them in non-audio electronics only.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
FYI --- there are specs for caps which require vibration, multiple bending and pull tests for the cap leads required in industries for rugged applications. In order to pass those particular tests, only steel leads succeed.

Copper/tin are better for audio leads/application.

Thx-RNMarsh

Some people say that the Silmics remove the clarity of higher frequencies and gives an overly smooth sound which i'm quite surprised.
Personally, I got the same improvements using them as irribeo did.
Mainly improved the forwardness of the vocal, more expansive/in-depth sound stage, superior instrumental separation, and clarity throughout the audible frequency range.\

I can see why people choose to use electrolytics over polypropylene film for the higher values, it is darn expensive depending on which you're looking at.
Though i believe it's a necessary upgrade, I still can't ignore the crazy fact that people are looking for ones that are in the $100+ range.

Honestly, as a budget audiophile, i found Jantzen Silver-Z to be one of the best "affordable" sound caps on the market.
They are not over-sized and comprise of Polypropylene dielectric, 1-2% tolerance, and pure silver leads for the best resistance.
As a cable maker, i believe that characteristic impedance means quite a lot, especially for capacitors as they're not all to OFC standard's yet.
Some would argue that it shouldn't matter for these short runs, but i believe that it does, especially for areas with signal.
Going through all these crystal boundaries/grains will cause irritating distortion as do currents that cross from one strand to another.

Polypropylene Film Capacitors aren't always going to fit perfectly on your PCB board so i do believe that the pure silver leads will help out quite a lot with distortion and lowering signal loss.

Perhaps OCC leads be available someday (if it hasn't already).
In the meanwhile, i'm quite happy with OFC leaded electrolytic and silver leaded film caps.

Cheers,

Artemis

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting much with the CDE 381s to be honest but I swear they are pretty neutral and don't add much color, although I did find the High end to bit a bit more clear/resolute, the Panasonic FCs to me added something in mid-range frequencies that I liked a lot not sure if it was clarity, or just a character or what lol. The Elna's have the most clear nature to me though. Id have to say everything Nichion/chemi-con I always frighted lol they color/sharpen the sound so much while some may like that.

I never tried any other Panasonic, other than those FCs so not sure about the others. I honestly don't care as long as its decently reliable/performs and last a decent while. I like the ones that are fairly neutral and don't impart too much coloration now some people will argue about that forever but to my ears there is a difference no matter what damn circuit it is xD

Panasonic FM capacitors have tin plate copper clad steel leads. They are definitely magnetic. the vast number of electrolytic capacitors have steel leads which are copper clad then tin plated.

All of those sound very poor, in my experience.
I'll use them in non-audio electronics only.
The question is by which applications. In the signal pad (G-NFB-pad), in power supplies/voltage regulators, in polarized or non polarized applications.
Also interesting to know would be the exactly reason for the observed very poor sonic quality by this cap versions. Maybe bypass foil caps are necessary.

Well even if some don't like the sound the Panasonic's are at least tough as hell no matter where you stick them xD. People just like to bash Panasonic stuff because they don't want to admit how bad-*** they are xD, I'm surprised the Nichicon/Rubycon cult/ravers didn't come out of the wood work and bash me on my previous posting xD. They know better because I mentioned Elna haha