Best electrolytic capacitors - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2009, 02:35 PM   #41
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavitsk View Post
The Elnas, Muses, and BGs all have solid copper, or at least non-magnetic, leads. The lesser Nichicons, Panny FM and FCs, Rubycon ZL, etc. all have steel leads.
Snap-in leads, at least in the Muses, are magnetic.
Old 25th September 2009, 11:40 PM   #42
eanee is offline eanee  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post

My favorite is the Elna silk capacitors, available from Digikey,
and really cheap. The measure spectacularly, sound great,
:
Even better are the Elna Silmic Super Gold electrolytics.These appear to be an enhanced OEM version but only available via Ebay or TaoBao.Using the straight wire bypass test these sound considerably more neutral than the standard Silmics and indeed any of the Cerafine, Blackgate, Muse or Fine Gold caps that I compared them with.Excellent as feedback or coupling caps in SS circuits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00100475268.jpg (23.2 KB, 2862 views)
Old 27th September 2009, 12:35 PM   #43
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
Has anyone got strong ideas on large electrolytics suitable for PS duty? I am thinking in the 15000uf 25000uF range at, say 35V. From the stuff available here in the UK I was thinking between Murndorf and Rifa: any comment?

Many thanks and good luck.
Nichicon KG's have been highly recommended to me. I'm yet to take the plunge and get them though, I need 80V+ so somewhat more expensive!!! Percy Audio stocks them. Though in those values (15,000 and 22,000) he only has 50V minimum. not cheap but certainly seem to be a lot cheaper than the "computer grade" Rifa's or Aerovox caps that I have looked at as alternatives.

Tony.
Old 27th September 2009, 06:15 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

I can tell you that I have had some bad luck with a brand called Samawah. The application I am sure had something to do with it, but the failure was spectacular and burned the solder lugs right off a 15,000uF cap not to mention burned a hole clean through the circuit board. Made one hell of a stink to when it let the smoke out as you already know.

Keith
Old 27th September 2009, 06:19 PM   #45
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Samwha makes reasonably good caps but I would not use them in fine audio stuff considering the availability of better caps like Pana FC etc.

When applied wrongly (i.e. polarized in reverse ) even the best cap will blow in a spectacular way.

Last edited by jean-paul; 27th September 2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 27th September 2009, 09:38 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

These were OEM stuff(I won't mention the manufacturer, so don't even ask) and not enough over rating to allow for any tolerance. 50V rated caps in a supply that ran at 45 Volts. So I guessI shouldn't blame the Samawahs.

They weren't installed backwards(or in other words reversed polarity) but putting them in there in the first place seems backwards.

You are so right too many other good choices available.

Keith
Old 28th September 2009, 12:00 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
The percy audio guy may as well be dead for the time it takes him to reply, 6 months, 3 attempts at contacting him no reply.
Old 28th September 2009, 12:07 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
Has anyone got strong ideas on large electrolytics suitable for PS duty? I am thinking in the 15000uf 25000uF range at, say 35V. From the stuff available here in the UK I was thinking between Murndorf and Rifa: any comment?

Many thanks and good luck.
rianco, te rif'a are about the best power supply cap out there, costly, but exceptional life, low esr and everything else you could want. I'd rate them above the Keindels and Nichicon/Rubycons PS caps. I use the Mundorf PS caps in a pre-amp supply, they are good cap for the application but for a power amp power supply I'd go with the Rifa's.

The BHC's are also good, try Audiocap.net, uk based...
Old 28th September 2009, 12:22 PM   #49
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
The percy audio guy may as well be dead for the time it takes him to reply, 6 months, 3 attempts at contacting him no reply.
I've read that others have had this problem as well... One person went to the extreme of sending some money via paypal (or mailed a cheque can't remember) to show he was interested, apparently got a quick response... I haven't yet tried, from what I have read your experience is pretty common, and faxing instead of emailing might be more likely to get a response.

Apparently the other thing is if the query is anything other than an order enquiry he doesn't answer. perhaps try putting order details in the subject eg want to purchase 10 XYZ caps ....

Tony.
Old 28th September 2009, 01:08 PM   #50
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
rianco, te rif'a are about the best power supply cap out there, costly, but exceptional life, low esr and everything else you could want. I'd rate them above the Keindels and Nichicon/Rubycons PS caps. I use the Mundorf PS caps in a pre-amp supply, they are good cap for the application but for a power amp power supply I'd go with the Rifa's.

The BHC's are also good, try Audiocap.net, uk based...

Very many thanks!!

Hide this!Advertise here!