Best electrolytic capacitors - Page 47 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2013, 09:36 PM   #461
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlend Sæterdal View Post
[Nichicon KA] My prefered for the the time being. Seems like they add an extra octave in the bass . Soundstage is deep and detailed.
I'm wondering if that "extra octave" wasn't achieved through less midbass - so the lower bass becomes more prominent. The overall sound is pretty dry. But yes, it will occasionally surprise you with a flurry of lower notes that you never knew before to exist on your CD. OTOH the upper end could be more fluid.
Old 13th July 2013, 07:12 AM   #462
diyAudio Member

Hello Diy'ers,

I've noticed your talk about magnetic leads on electrolytics in this thread and wonder if there is a sort of general guideline as to which capacitors has magnetic lead assemblies and which don't? Like "manufacturer this & this use magnetic leads whereas this & this manufacturer don't".

Has this been discussed somewhere?

Cheers,

Jesper
Old 13th July 2013, 09:35 AM   #463
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The standard is ferro lead wires so copper wires today are an exception. This means in practice nearly all recent electrolytic caps have ferro wires. You will have to use so-called audio types to have tinned copper lead wires and even then you will have to be cautious as some manufacturers don't even mention the choice of materials in the data sheet. I experienced the use of aluminium lead wires too but that is better than ferro...

Industrial caps have ferro wires in 99% of the cases. Copper is an expensive material these days. I fought it but lost the battle with ferro caps and use caps with ferro wires as they can be quite good (depending on brand and type).

Last edited by jean-paul; 13th July 2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 15th July 2013, 08:12 PM   #464
diyAudio Member

Default 4.7 millifarad cap?

Hi there!

Taking advantage of this, I'd like to ask if the electrolytic below is indeed 4.7 mF (milli Farad). It's found inside some synth tuners and also what part it should supply or filter or eventually the purpose of such particular cap.

Thanks!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th July 2013, 08:16 PM   #465
diyAudio Member

Memory 4.700.000 uf I think.
Old 15th July 2013, 08:18 PM   #466
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Back-up memory. OK!

Last edited by Karl vd Berg; 15th July 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 15th July 2013, 08:25 PM   #467
diyAudio Member

Farads to Microfarads Conversion Calculator
Old 15th July 2013, 08:27 PM   #468
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Industrial caps have ferro wires in 99% of the cases. Copper is an expensive material these days.
Its they won't pass stress tests with pure copper leads. Think suitability for automotive, machinery, aircraft, etc.
Old 15th July 2013, 08:39 PM   #469
diyAudio Member

@ jean-paul:

Quote:
The standard is ferro lead wires so copper wires today are an exception. This means in practice nearly all recent electrolytic caps have ferro wires. You will have to use so-called audio types to have tinned copper lead wires and even then you will have to be cautious as some manufacturers don't even mention the choice of materials in the data sheet. I experienced the use of aluminium lead wires too but that is better than ferro...

Industrial caps have ferro wires in 99% of the cases. Copper is an expensive material these days. I fought it but lost the battle with ferro caps and use caps with ferro wires as they can be quite good (depending on brand and type).
Thanks for the feedback ;-)

Jesper
Old 16th July 2013, 07:53 AM   #470
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to linuxguru
Quote:
4700 uF, actually. It's a bit low for memory, but maybe some standby settings could be kept for a few minutes.

The super-caps used for memory generally have values in Farads, not mF.

Hide this!Advertise here!