Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2003, 04:42 PM   #1
dipchip is offline dipchip  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 3 terminal Jung Super Regulator Kit

Hi everyone,

I have completed the layout for a 3-terminal Super Audio Regulator. (I Hope!)

The design was very generously given to me by ALW.
from ALW Audio

I modified his design slightly to make it fit into a 3 terminal
78xx and 79xx footprint. (But I still have the original option of
the sense pins, if you hardwire them)

This voltage regulator has a normal linear pre-regulator that could be removed if needed, followed by a Walt Jung super low noise voltage regulator.

Dale (harvardian) and I, are going to try to offer this board (and a negative version) as a kit.

I named it the APOX-JR+ and APOX-JR-

I posted pictures of the layouts, so I would really like some feedback before I finalize the board layouts.

You can see the designhere

Is anyone interested in a board like this?

Thanks,
Craig Beiferman
Old 14th May 2003, 05:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Retiree

Default Who's design

Has anybody asked Walt Jung about using his design (and it sure looks like his design to me) for commercial purposes? A magazine is selling the boards for his regulator with his permission if i am not mistaken.

I know you have the mounting foot print but, do you really think that thing is going to fit in someone equipment as an after market mod? ITS HUGE

You might want to see what the competition is doing..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg regulators.jpg (5.0 KB, 5641 views)
Old 14th May 2003, 05:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Retiree

Smile keep hope alive

A high current design from the same vendor. I even think those are Black Gate caps in fact.........

As you said on your website "Dimensions: Not ready yet"
I am afraid I will have to agree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg regulator2.jpg (4.6 KB, 5299 views)
Old 14th May 2003, 05:50 PM   #4
PMiczek is offline PMiczek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Vendor?

Fred, can post what vendor, or a link to a datasheet if there is one? Thanks.
Old 14th May 2003, 06:17 PM   #5
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Who's design

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Dieckmann
Has anybody asked Walt Jung about using his design (and it sure looks like his design to me) for commercial purposes? A magazine is selling the boards for his regulator with his permission if i am not mistaken.

I know you have the mounting foot print but, do you really think that thing is going to fit in someone equipment as an after market mod? ITS HUGE

Fred, do you have any info about the picture you have attached (small SMD regulator pcb)?
Old 14th May 2003, 06:21 PM   #6
dipchip is offline dipchip  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Has anybody asked Walt Jung about using his design
Fred,

I guess I was assuming it was O.K. to use the design because it was posted on EDN
under the title DESIGN IDEAS.

He also wrote the article under the Analog Devices name.
So I am assuming his intention is to get people to use the analog devices chip (AD797) in the article, which I will do.
I'm also guessing if you asked Analog Devices who owned the design, they wouldn't say Walt.

Quote:
ITS HUGE
Its only 1.75" wide by 1.5" tall. I don't think thats very big.
I blew up the layout for readability.

Thanks for your comments,
Craig Beiferman
Old 14th May 2003, 06:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Who's design

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Dieckmann

Fred,

The " Jung" regulators come from a 4-part article in Audio Amateur magazine (now AudioXpress) 1-4 1995 by Walt, the undersigned and Gary Galo. It was based on an earlier article by Mike Sulzer in Audio Amatear 2/80, and my own article (A wideband power supply) in AA 1/87. The PCB was designed by me and is being sold by Old Colony Sound Lab (an affiliation of AudioXpress).

So, even if the PCB design is new, the schematic is the result of a colloborative effort of several people. I personally have no problem with this, but Walt might see it differently. I don't know how to reach him though (except through AudioXpress) as he seems to have retired from Analog Devices.

Jan Didden
Old 14th May 2003, 06:28 PM   #8
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
audioXpress sell PCB's, as far as I'm aware Walt does not benefit from this.

Walt is well aware of the other's using what I suspect is his basic design and from my own questions he has no problem with it being marketed commercially by others.

I know, I'm doing it and have asked after the guilt got to me

I'm not sure the Audiocom reg's have the full Jung cct, but they are a wideband op-amp based unit. The tracking pre-reg's and other mods (bootstrapping) bring benefits that the commercial units are not implementing.

Some are still using the AD797

Companies such as Trichord are also using similar schemes.

Andy.

P.S. Jan - Walt has retired from ADI
Old 14th May 2003, 06:29 PM   #9
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

If we exclude the opamp itself (very low noise type), what is so special really? What about the output stage? If a regular emitter follower is used, what enhancements do I get with the "Jung" output stage?

My low noise (16 µV) QSXPS PS is the same except for that the opamp is fed before the regulator with a huge capacitor (compared to the current consumption). If I change the opamp I will proably get lower noise.
Old 14th May 2003, 06:34 PM   #10
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If we exclude the opamp itself (very low noise type), what is so special really? What about the output stage? If a regular emitter follower is used, what enhancements do I get with the "Jung" output stage?
As always with audio, the final circuit sound has little to do with the topology used.

The benefit of the o/p stage is primarily that it allows a start-up mechanism for the bootstrapped regulator, and the subsequent (big) benefits of that.

Andy.

Hide this!Advertise here!