Obscure resistor, what is it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
if I was to guess it is a 6.8 ohm 1 or 2 watt carbon composition (or film) resistor 5% and it looks like it is cracked so I bet it is open.

does the resistor have smooth rounded edges or is it built like a perfect tube with sharp edges.

Last edited:
That just looks like a 1W or 2W Allen-Bradley resistor. AB resistors have that brown cylindrical body.

Here are some examples:

APEXJRABCARBONRESISTORS1.jpg

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Mr. Didden, do you mean that the "silver" ring actually is grey? What could the black and brown ring be?

Yes I'm sure it is grey. Anyway, the blue-grey side is where the value starts. I'm not sure about the black and (extra wide) brown bands; they look somewhat non-standard but it may have to do with the power rating. But I looking for more info, it intrigues me.

jd

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think the gold band tells us it is a four band coding, but with an extra band indicating something non standard.
Temp co should be the fifth band but black for the fourth is the odd one out.
brn (1%) tolerance is extremely unusual for carbon composition.

There's a lot of coding charts on the net, and they ALL show that the 3rd band, if golden or silver on a 5-band resistor, is just a placeholder with no value.
If you think about it, it is obvious that E96 and above series need at least 4 value rings to be able to code the available values. Then the 5th is the tol value.

jd

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.