Natural dielectrics (in caps and wire) like silk, paper and cotton sound more natural

Natural dielectrics like silk,paper or cotton sound more natural than say polyprop

• YES!

Votes: 16 13.0%
  • NO!

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • This is a stupid poll

Votes: 81 65.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
than their "artificial" counterparts such as teflon, polyprop, etc.

What are your thoughts on this.

Sorry but this is absurd. Quality capacitors sound better, regardless of the technology. Polypropylen and Polyestirene are the ones with better reputation AFAIK.

But a better CIRCUIT DESIGN is much more important than the type of capacitors or resistor used.

It makes me remember of those audiophiles that buy things as "CD stabilizer rings" to make "sound more stable", or that they think that placing the turntable on a marble plinth will make the sound more "solid"... or that a wooden turntable arm will give an "organic sound", or that placing a CD under a hot bulb for 15 minutes before playing will give a "warmer sound" :D

IMMO dielectric is dielectric. Period.
Silk, paper, and dried cocodrile skin is dielectric. Polypropylen is dielectric.
But polypropylen caps cost X. Paper caps cost 10X.
Do you think that natural=expensive=better? No, I don't think so.
If a teflon cap sounds bad, you are using a bad cap. If a paper-snake oil cap sounds bad, you are using a bad cap.

Compared to the massive variation in speaker impedance over the frequency range the dielectric of the cable is insignificant.

This sounds like the old "more expensive must be better" brigade at it again !
Massively expensive is usually very little better than expensive.

Why would a pcb need professional layout? The lines are only 1/200 Ohm. Maybe ESR and ringing could possibly play a role here?

I also know that paper tastes better than polypro.

IMMO dielectric is dielectric. Period.
Actually each dielectric is different if it is made from a different material.

But polypropylen caps cost X. Paper caps cost 10X.
Nomex (also used in transformers as layer insulation) is about 20X more expensive than paper. Paper is also cheaper than teflon or most other dielectrics commonly used.

This sounds like the old "more expensive must be better" brigade at it again !
Where is the brigade? Where did I mention costs?

Besides I'm not trying to prove a point here. I'm asking for your opinions or experiences on the matter.

Dielectric materials do have differing properties when viewed from an E Field perspective. Dielectric constant provides a pretty good look at what charge state must be held during an E Field moment and one of it's components is threshold. Plastics with high constants, Kapton and the like, usually have a slow acceptance and discharge rate and so do tend to strip some of the information that would cue our brain to illusions of space. Cotton and paper have a low dielectric constant and are noted for not loosing this low level information. Teflon theoretically should be very good at this too, however it also makes my nerves crawl after a bit and it always seems noisy.

For signal transformers the family of anhydrous nylon papers seem to be the least intrusive, with fine retention of low level signals during the E Field moment and yet still have enough dielectric withstand and resistance to corona, to be used in relatively high voltage situations (800 vac). Unfortunately the material is worthless as a capacitor dielectric.

Bud

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.