Electrolytic capacitors - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2009, 12:41 PM   #11
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MellowTone
So essentially, any electrolytics made pre-1991 should pretty much be thrown and replaced?

I hope not. I have a box of NOS 450v electrolytics that would be a shame to throw away, especially if I can reform them
Old 16th August 2009, 03:18 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

If you can reform old caps, get the leakage current within spec, and verify the capacitance value, they might be OK for some applications--for a while. But other parameters are likely to still be degraded like ESR, dissipation factor, etc. And they may not last much longer--especially if used near their rated voltage, at high temperatures, or with high values of ripple current.

For example, the electrolytics used on most PC motherboards for the switching regulator near the CPU, are famous for failing after only 3 or 4 years. And even before they fail, their parameters are degraded enough the PC often starts to have problems because of unstable power. But those caps live in a hot environment with high amounts of ripple current. Newer high-end motherboards are using polymer caps to avoid the early failures with electrolytics.
Old 16th August 2009, 04:27 PM   #13
star882 is offline star882  United States
diyAudio Member

Just connect it to a power supply at about the rated voltage with current limiting such that it would take hours to days to fully charge. Then just leave it for longer than that.
Old 16th August 2009, 05:13 PM   #14
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

I will probably just reform them with the techniques given and use them in my own equipment. I won't use them when repairing other peoples'

Hide this!Advertise here!