Protel Questions. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2003, 11:01 PM   #1
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Default Protel Questions.

Is there any one out there that uses Protel that i can email and talk to. I need to know if there is some one that uses it so i can email them my PCB file so they can look it over and see what they think of it. This is my first time use'n Protel for PCB making. If no one uses Protel can some one sujest a program that they use and that i can get help from.

thanks Jason
Old 11th May 2003, 11:39 PM   #2
Rudy is offline Rudy  Belgium
diyAudio Member

is it your first PCB drawing program, as a first i don't recommend it, its very good thow, but it is quite complicated if you just want to draw a simple layout.

there are plenty of threads on the forum thats suggests witch pcb program you can use.

i myself use ultiboard , but this is only becouse i have to use it on a professional way at work, if it was me i would be using orcad.

Greetz Fev
Old 11th May 2003, 11:54 PM   #3
Banned

this is what im trying to devalop a board for. Do you have a link to the software that you use. is there a demo. i would like to use some thing that some one elses uses and knows lots about so that i can ask questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upe297.jpg (78.1 KB, 263 views)
Old 12th May 2003, 10:06 AM   #4
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

JasonL,

I use Protel Version 1.12 for Windows, circa 1991. It certainly works for me. Send me your board design; I'll have a look at it.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 12th May 2003, 06:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Jason, what happened to the Macs?

I use Osmond, it is a little clunky, but fairly quick to pick up when you really try. It's also quite good for small projects, and I think you would be fine with that layout above
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 12th May 2003, 08:58 PM   #6
Banned

Im on a mac im useing a friends computer to use protel. Does that program work in jaguar because that is all that i have loaded on my laptop.
Old 12th May 2003, 09:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonL
Im on a mac im useing a friends computer to use protel. Does that program work in jaguar because that is all that i have loaded on my laptop.
AFAIK it does, but I'm using 10.1.5 currently, and it works fine on that.

The parts libraries are a little lacking, but I tend to make my own parts, (fairly straightforward), as I need them, that way I know the components are ok and will fit in the space on the board. I have also had a few problems with star grounding as it seem the program will only allow three conections per pin, but there are ways to get around this, especially if you are making your own boards, and don't need them to be produced by a fab plant.

There is also a Yahoo group if you have any problems, the address is on the page below.

Here is the link: http://www.swcp.com/~jchavez/osmond.html
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 12th May 2003, 10:08 PM   #8
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi!

Maybe You want to check this one out! Runs on jaguar (I just tried it!)

here

/
Old 13th May 2003, 04:46 AM   #9
Banned

Some one said that this schematic that i have is a citation amplifier. or is it the a40? i can't remember. Any way i have a question about the cap's. in the pic shown is my amp that i have up and running right now. But it uses long yellow caps on the board. Do i need these on my actual board that im building now or can they be some kinda other value. If i remember corectly i was told that there on there to improve speed for the amp. Can any one help. the amp is working with them but will it work just as good with out. can i change teh vaules to a difrent Round cap. ? need to know because im in the board prosess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg booardq.jpg (31.4 KB, 128 views)
Old 13th May 2003, 05:03 AM   #10
Banned

And i now dont see them in the schematic But if i recalll i think that the power terminals POS and Neg go through the caps first. ? HUmm. Grr i hate my things being in boxes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schematic.jpg (38.8 KB, 118 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!