Khozmo 48 position stepped attenuators - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2010, 06:48 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Parts-connexion now is selling the attenuator, same price like direct manufacturer
Old 12th May 2011, 04:05 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Manufacturer is free shipping, shipping cost of Partsconnexion is too hight and long time for reply.
Old 12th December 2011, 11:40 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Sound quality of this unit pls anyone else tried it ?

How does it stack up against the others
Old 13th December 2011, 07:49 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Default Passive Khozmo

Hey,

I have had one of these models in the Dual Mono design, two volume knobs and one knob in the middle for selection of two inputs. I also have a B1 preamp from Nelson Pass and I like both of them very much. They are both very similar in depth of soundstage and simplicity of use on the inside. Both have pcb boards, i have not built one with just p2p wiring yet. I have continue to use my Khozmo with a Decware Taboo and my iPhone with Frugal Horns.. love it. Simiple set up and nice sound. When dealing with him from Poland, he was always right on top of emails and communications with fedex info. No issues from my end. I actually have an extra one if you want it. Let me know. The only upgrade you could do to this, a bet would make little noticeable difference, is to add better RCA's to it. Let me know if you need anything else answered. jon.parkhurst@mac.com

see link below

Gear in the Basement!
Old 12th October 2012, 10:32 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtweaker View Post
Sound quality of this unit pls anyone else tried it ?

How does it stack up against the others

here's my feedback...

ALPS Blue -> not worth the trouble, VERY expensive compared to sound they make, these should be banned from being sold….

TKD -> nice upgrade compared to ALPS, I use TKD 2CP-601 series as "cheap" (around $40 for stereo type) upgrade pots that give most bang for the buck. The finish, precision and quality of this miniature potentiometer is outstanding. They come in motorised control option as well

DACT -> I was never really satisfied with series attenuators from DACT... nice, detailed sound, but the unnatural coloration was always putting me of. Definitely NOT worth the money -> vastly overpriced at around $250.

Khozmo shunt types, with surface mount resistors -> by far THE superior attenuator, absolutely no coloration, outstanding transients & very reasonable cost. Go with Khozmo if there's space to fit them. For around AU$150 -> absolute, incredible barging. Some don’t like the stiffness. Many don’t like the fact that you need to really crank them a lot to achieve reasonable levels… what 20-30 degrees is for “standard” pots, is almost 180 deg. on Kozhmo’s.

Boky
Old 12th October 2012, 03:01 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

I heard the Khozmo guy is unreliable and hard to communicate with .

Product is ok but you can buy e bay units from china for much less

I compared the khozmo to a $ 12 china unit with SMT res. in it sound exactly same .

Amps : Levinson Ref. 20.5 pre . custom made tube . cd . Acustic Arts

Most of these units are overpriced and a big rip off .

my 2cents that is all but I wanted to see for myself .
Old 13th October 2012, 12:53 AM   #47
diyAudio Member

whatever keeps you happy!
Old 13th October 2012, 01:48 AM   #48
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yes and it seems they are not make before break either, making for bad transients. its a pity because otherwise and apart from his notoriously bad communication/reliability, the product looks well made and I wanted them to be really good.
Old 13th October 2012, 02:17 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

I never had a problem!

In fact, I engaged in quite an interesting conversation with Khozmo, related to his choice of shunt type over a true ladder type...

These attenuators will reveal what the audio system is truly capable of. If it is high-end system with correct interconnect, speaker and power cables, the attenuator will shine and present the recording like you're in the studio at the take...

If the system is mediocre -> well, it will show the weaknesses, and sound uninspiring, BUT it will still pass the signal in untouched manner, the only imprint on the sound quality is in fact the hook-up wiring characteristics. The original multi-litz hook-up wiring that comes with the pot has to be replaced, of course.

The hollow aluminium cylinders need to be damped with resonance deadening material -> this is my only remark about this attenuator.

Boky
Old 13th October 2012, 02:31 AM   #50
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yeah well that just shows the consistency isnt good. there have been a string of bad reports on headfi related to the lack of a proper make before break mech, meaning that there can and are moments of bad contact, which in the wrong amp can cause acrid blue smoke, but at the minimum cause transients.

there was also some close up shots of one that illustrated the problem. without proper operation i'm afraid the rest is hyperbole

Hide this!Advertise here!