+/-15V from +48V Phantom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quite obvious from the title I hope!

Basically, I'm after some sort of schematic to be able to get a 15-0-15 DC supply from +48V phantom. Heck, is this even possible? I think it is...

I just want a versatile schematic that I can implement into preamps for DI boxes, mic pres, etc...

Thanks!

BSS (who made a couple of types of DIs) used a CMOS 555 (7555) driving a transistor driving a little pulse transformer (amazingly, available at RS components) to generate isolated power. Various condenser mics (AKG etc) have phantom driven DC/DC converters. The maximum available power from a single phantom powered mic line is around 150 milliwatts. You will run into the contradicting op amp requirements of low noise, fast slew and low power (choose any two :) ).
M

You get +48V on two 6.81k resistors so by 10mA (5mA/side) you are down to <14V. If you are not using much Isupply you could make +15V in the conventional way and use one of those flying cap doublers to make -15V. There are a lot of sites with ideas for the classic Schoeps transformerless mic circuit, it's a good start.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.