Is it time to toss my paper data books? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th July 2009, 04:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Is it time to toss my paper data books?

I've been collecting semiconductor data books for years. It's gotten to the point where something's got to go, but I feel bad about it. Not every piece of data in the world is on the 'net, and there's something far more convenient about paper when you're working at the bench.

Other than a few application books from Nat, LT and BB/TI, and a few discretes books, can anyone give me a good reason not to toss the rest? (or free to a good home if anyone's near Rochester NY)

I've also got a large number of Home Shop Machinist magazines on the verge of the same fate. Hey, and ancient issues of Pop Electronics, Electronics Now and a bunch of others. No used book seller will consider even the best magazines, even if given for free.
Old 28th July 2009, 07:27 PM   #2
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Sentimental value
Room acoustic treatment.
Loft Insulation.
Other than that, things change so fast now that all current data sheets can be downloaded as a PDF. It no use linking to the sites as apart from a few stalwarts semiconducter manufactures seem to change hand every other week, probably the financial equivilent of moores law.
Old 29th July 2009, 03:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Been there done that, only to spend hours wondering where the heck did I put that? Our library has book sales where they take donations and sometimes give you receipts. At least you can take a little off your taxes. Another idea is to see if you have a local radio/hifi club. Some universities also might be interested.
Old 29th July 2009, 03:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Is it time to toss my paper data books?

Quote:
Originally posted by Conrad Hoffman
I've been collecting semiconductor data books for years. It's gotten to the point where something's got to go...
How 'bout the wife instead?

se
Old 29th July 2009, 01:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well Steve, it's a good thing she doesn't read this forum, or you'd be runnin' fer the hills right now

I think I'll take a big box to the recycle center next trash day and see how it feels. If I don't notice they're gone, I'll take another box... and another...

Best,
Conrad
Old 31st July 2009, 04:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi! I'll take your whole box and pay for shipping if you want. I am in Gatineau, Québec, Canada. Wanna do this?

thank you,

Owen
Old 2nd August 2009, 05:53 AM   #7
mobyd is offline mobyd  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

If you bin them, sometime not long after, you'll need them.
If you keep them, you'll never need them.
That's just the way it is.
I had a weed out (down to 14 metres of books) when the
piling under my outhouse office started to collapse, and
soon after, came into the possession of an Analog Devices
type 111 hybrid amp. Nothing anywhere on the net other than
other people looking for data on it, yet I *KNOW* it was in
one of the books I binned.
M
Old 6th August 2009, 12:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I am more than happy to take ANY old capacitor databooks - I will pay shipping of course....
Old 9th August 2009, 08:28 AM   #9
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Never bin data books. Try looking up a transistor such as BC109 on the web and compare the data you get with what's in an old Mullard book. One is a two page summary of legal get-out clauses and a SPICE model, the other has thirteen pages of genuine measurements.

I expect your books have already gone to a good home, otherwise I'd happily pay postage to the UK.
Old 11th August 2009, 12:08 AM   #10
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

The proper answer is to form some kind of cabal and organize the scanning and sharing of vintage data books and magazines. A lot of them were printed on low-quality paper that won't last forever.

I've got a bunch of Radio-Electronics, Electronics Now, Elementary Electronics, Popular Electronics, and ETI Canada, for example. (And a few Modern Electronics, Radio-TV Experimenter, Electronics Illustrated, to name a few.)

If anyone is serious in doing this, let me know. If there were a hundred people working on R-E or PE, by the time we'd each scanned 6 magazines we'd have 50 years done.

Hide this!Advertise here!