Nichicon KG Series as Filter Caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have the same question. It seems to me that filter caps are NOT dealing with audio at all, and therefore you want caps that will filter out the ripple best. Isn't money spent on the Nichicon KG series just a waste? I look at my integrated amp, where they used Nichicon throughout, but used United Chemi-con for the filter caps. And I ran across a website where the operator spends his time restoring Marantz recievers - he says he uses United Chemi-con for the filter caps, too.

So...?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've got to ask also how can filter caps alter the sound?

The powersupply caps provide the (hopefully) stable voltage that feeds the amp, it is this voltage that gets modulated to make the final sound. If you think about it that way then isn't it logical that there is the potential for these caps to affect the sound?

Ever tried putting a scope on the powersupply and running a sine wave through the amp at close to clipping? you might be surprised (or horrified) at the result ;)

Nichicon KG's are regarded as many as being excellent power supply caps. I've bought some for my amp but haven't actually put them in yet, and from what I've looked at they aren't really that expensive!

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.