quick connect audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there any way to assemble audio plugs without soldering?

Example: 18 gauge zip cord to a banana plug.

Some sort of twist on assembly is preferred but I haven't seen such at Parts Express or other.

Barring anything twist on, can the parts experts here give a good source for an assembly tutorial for making audio connects?

You should defenetly learn to solder,

It's not that hard, you only need the proper tool.

I've started with a cheap RadioShack 15 watt iron and learnt from sctrach... (bad idea)

If you want to make it easier, get a decent ~$25 (and more) soldering iron and practice on old PCI/ISA board.

Soldering a plug is quite easy compare to PCB.

Have fun :)

here some articles from the Make magazine which should help you :

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/07/lucas_learns_to_solder.html (kids can do it !)

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/02/maker_to_maker_soldering_on_make_te.html (a nice video on how to solder)

Cal Weldon said:
Do you mean like this?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/sho...ew banana plugs&CFID=1057791&CFTOKEN=48868246

You can get a dual version from Q components in Canada.

My problem with these things started back 40 years ago. I tried to manually get an RCA phono plug made with the POS lead down the center and and ground lead on the frame. That's primitive. But that's where I gave up on it. I also once soldered a standard phono plug but those things are as big as my index finger.

Trying to flow solder down the center of an RCA plug was too daunting. Everything I've seen since looks like that and puts me off.

So I've just been direct connecting with female ends for the spade lugs on drivers. I can manage to solder those and put a heat shrunk sleeve on for neatness.

:cool:

So if those PE ones can be wrapped with the wire and screwed tight, that is a solution.

You owe it to yourself to get back on that horse and ride.

I had lots of bad soldering and building experiences as a kid as I had bad equipment, no guidance and on top of that was kind of careless. Getting over this opened up lots of possibilities for me.

With regard to your experiences, I will say that soldering those RCA tips can be frustrating, and will be very difficult if you don't have enough wattage in your iron. So it's not as simple as a task as it might appear.

--Buckapound

Buckapound,

Your childhood experience sounds like mine. Some peeps can build Heathkits, for others they would never work.

I have some fairly fine solder, a 30 watt iron and even some of that wicking stuff plus a sponge and some forceps for the tricky holds.

But I've never been taught electronics or how to read schematics. I even bought a textbook once but didn't get very far.

My regular forum in DIY audio is the single driver loudspeaker section.

What is the standard banana plug form and how is it put together?
This seems needlessly obscure.

But thanks for answering. I think there are always some in the hobby that go through this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.