source of aluminium in UK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not trying to be smart but have you looked in yellow pages under 'Aluminium'. You should find some ally fabricators one of who I'm sure could offer you some off-cuts. If you can be slightly flexible on thickness i.e. 5mm-8mm you should have a good chance. Also depending on your intended use some of them may well carry 'chequer plate' (used for stair treads & lorry steps & floors etc.
Hope this helps.

Fezz
I don't know if it varies from area to area but my Manchester yellow pages lists 'Aluminium Fabricator's' + 'Aluminium Welders' & 'Aluminium Stockholders' although I suspect that stockholders will charge a fortune for small quantities. If I remember rightly their is a fair bit of aerospace work in Bristol area & so probably quite a number of companies messing around with Aluminium.

Match the grade to the purpose...

Hi,

I got some 300mm x 500mm x 6mm from RS components.
The problem was that it is a very soft grade. Normal twist drills sieze if not cleaned after each hole.
I had wanted to blind tap into it for 3mm screws (I have done that successfully for years on the normal 50mm x 6mm bar), but this stuff just has no strength.

My 2p...

Cheers,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.