Conventions that you like to abide by

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When wiring up a +/0/- DC supply, what color wiring do you use? I suppose red for + is pretty universal, but what about 0 and -? Black and white respectively? I don't think green is a good idea because it might lead some to believe that there is earth.

Also, what other conventions do you follow or think others should follow?

It all depends on what circuit I'm working on. For my bench power supply, I use colors similar to those on PC power supplies - black for ground, yellow for 12v, red for 5v, orange for 3.3v, and green for another voltage.

One tip to avoid having to stock many different colors of wire is to stock many different colors of tape. Use the tape to make an identification color band on the ends of each wire.

In a circuit where an exposed ground is not a problem, I have used red for the positive, black for the negative, and, of course, bare for the ground.

At my university, one of the engineering labs (for ECEN 214, which was analog) used red for the positive, black for ground, brown for negative, and blue for another positive. Another one (for ECEN 248, which was digital) used red for one positive, black for ground, and brown for another positive. (I wonder if anyone managed to blow something up by getting confused about the colors... The electrical engineering department should adopt rules about what colors to use on bench power supplies.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.