Eagle vs. Sprint-Layout for PCB design/layout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone use Abacom's Sprint-Layout? if so, do you prefer it to, say, Eagle? (note: SL is not free)
I have used Abacom's sPlan (schematic editor) for over 2 yrs and am quite impressed with its ergonomics/ease-of-use. I guess I'm looking for the same ergonomics in a PCB designer. I don't think Eagle fits the bill (that said, I realize that Eagle is free (up to a point), and popular (="standardized", so lots of libraries); it may have evolved for the better since my last trial, over 2 yrs ago).
Thx for any info you can provide.

Hi Hollowman,

I just recently asked the same thing you're asking and did lots of searches and comparisons.

I opted for Abacom's Sprint-Layout. I have not used Eagle, so I can't truly A-B them, but I have used ExpressPCB software (which I loved, just not their PCB prices). I found Abacom's Sprint-Layout very easy, intuitive, their help files actually return usable information, and it is very easy to create/modify device footprints. A fully functional PCB CAD software that is reasonably easy to learn and use all while being stable is a bargain at ~$55 USD (40 Euros).

After buying it with PayPal, downloading, and installing it, I had a board designed and about 80% done within an hour. Some of the finer details took a few help references to master and there was the natural need to learn new/different ways of doing a few things like copper pour, that I was used to with ExpressPCB, but it took minutes instead of hours (or days with Eagle - so I've heard). After doing some part lookups, I did find the need to refresh the screen (F5) to return the screen to full view, but this is the worse "problem" I've found so far. For $55, I can hit F5 all day : )

I hope this helps a little. My first board design was completed with Sprint, sent to the board shop, and I should receive my boards tomorrow (Yeah!), so I'll know more about the full process then by validating the measurements and quality. I already have my next board design in mind. . .

Regards,
Paul

Just another quick comment. . .

I've also used FreePCB (I have the utmost respect for free, open-source apps, but I simply did not like it) and the free version of DIPTrace (the free, pin-limited version) and still prefer Sprint Layout.

Also, I received my professional boards yesterday, and they are beautiful and perfect. Now I'm really thrilled with Sprint having gone from schematic to completed board so quickly and easily for a $55 software package.

Andreq said:
Getting the hang of it first is a bit hard, but when you learn the basic method, your good to go.

If you need help, some guy over instructables made really good how-to.

It start from this one :

http://www.instructables.com/id/Draw-Electronic-Schematics-with-CadSoft-EAGLE/

and ends with that one :

http://www.instructables.com/id/Turn-your-EAGLE-schematic-into-a-PCB/
From the Instructables site...
One of the major challenges of using Eagle is finding the components you want in the "official" libraries.
These libraries are extensive, not particularly well named (and the components aren't so well named either), and seem to date back to a time when there was a different philosophy about multiple packages for a particular device. Resistors and capacitors have so many packages defined that picking the right one is difficult. Transistors, despite formable leads, tend to only have a single package defined. Many experienced EAGLE users don't use the standard libraries at all, copying common components and packages into private libraries or creating them from scratch.
Tangent also created a decent movie tutorial a few years back. There are 8 videos on this page under "Creating Circuit Boards with EAGLE".

I use ExpressPCB and ExpressSCH for my electronic projects and its free software. You can easily create your own custom component layout. You can also link your schematic which you created from ExpressSCH. Thus pcb etch was easily manually drawn with help or guide by link of schematic file.

For the past several weeks I have been with DesignSpark provided by the electronics distributor RS Electronics (Allied in the USA). It's free, essentially unlimited in layers, board size and number of components. It's easily the equal of any 'professional' layout tool I've used. Much of my effort so far has been in setting up my own symbol and component libraries suitable to my needs and preferences. I've noticed a few quirks but nothing that I can't easily learn and adapt to.

Just another quick comment. . .

I've also used FreePCB (I have the utmost respect for free, open-source apps, but I simply did not like it) and the free version of DIPTrace (the free, pin-limited version) and still prefer Sprint Layout.

Also, I received my professional boards yesterday, and they are beautiful and perfect. Now I'm really thrilled with Sprint having gone from schematic to completed board so quickly and easily for a $55 software package.

Yes man I agree with you; I trace my pedal FX on Sprint Layout, it is the best free soft!!! you have to put a patch to convert it FULL!! an trace the simulated ones in DIP TRACE I made my own 3D draw for all parts I have to put or modified an existing for my personal purpose; here is a close for my clone of METAL MUFF:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The pots are my design, the grenies condensers, and the resistors 3 bands code; are these mod for existing modules, the In & OUT jacks also my design made in PERÚ!!!
Here is a complete case, transparent; with KNOBS; a moded 3pdt, LED with housing, new pots all my personal design!!
the circuit is based in SPRINT LAYOUT and scaled copy image in DIP to put the 3D images; the images are made in WINGS 3D; it is amazing!!!!!!!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

whats your opinion?? also I design tubes!!!!

I use DesignSpark, here is a 3D view of a Roland Jet Phaser clone:
3D view is push button in Designspark.

Attachments

• P-JET-PHASER.png
    P-JET-PHASER.png
    156.2 KB · Views: 371
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.