noob help please - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2009, 07:25 PM   #1
Troy81 is offline Troy81  United States
diyAudio Member

Default noob help please

I tryed to search but i couldnt find a definite answer. if you can send me to a post that would answer my question i will gladly read the whole thing to get to an answer
im putting together a headphone amp and im trying not to just follow the directions, im trying to understand the parts if at all possible. im new to electronics as far as this goes, but im a fast and willing learner, OP amps are getting to me a little bit because i know what they do and how to hook them up but i dont know how they work. but thats ok, they seem too complicated. but one thing that i cant even figure out what it does, is Buffers, im using BUF634T, i dont usually follow advice blindly but i was told that it was a good buffer . what exactly does a buffer do and how does it work? it seems like a transistor but it has 5 prongs, im confused. thanks in advanced and i hope to make a couple buddies, ill be around from here on in.
Old 30th June 2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Troy81 is offline Troy81  United States
diyAudio Member

Also, on protoboard, i am confused as to which side to solder to, ive been soldering to the side that shows copper, im assuming i am doing this correctly. im making the wires come through the plastic side where there is no copper showing
Old 3rd July 2009, 08:28 AM   #3
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Protoboard. Normally components go on the insulated side, but they don't have to. Probably easier to visualise with them both placed and soldered on the "copper side". It doesn't matter, just try not to overheat them.

Buffers. Normally thought of as an amplifier with a voltage gain of unity (one). Can take a signal from a high impedance source ( that can't supply much current ) and while keeping the output voltage the same as the input enable it to drive loads that require more current (such as a speaker or motor or relay etc). Unless you know what you are doing there can be stability issues with using these kind of things.
There must be loads of opamp tutorial stuff if you search.
Golden rule, remember the output of an opamp (connected with feedback) will do all it can to keep THE DIFFERENCE IN VOLTAGE BETWEEN THE INVERTING AND NON INVERTING INPUTS AT ZERO.
Have fun

Hide this!Advertise here!