noob help please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I tryed to search but i couldnt find a definite answer. if you can send me to a post that would answer my question i will gladly read the whole thing to get to an answer
im putting together a headphone amp and im trying not to just follow the directions, im trying to understand the parts if at all possible. im new to electronics as far as this goes, but im a fast and willing learner, OP amps are getting to me a little bit because i know what they do and how to hook them up but i dont know how they work. but thats ok, they seem too complicated. but one thing that i cant even figure out what it does, is Buffers, im using BUF634T, i dont usually follow advice blindly but i was told that it was a good buffer . what exactly does a buffer do and how does it work? it seems like a transistor but it has 5 prongs, im confused. thanks in advanced and i hope to make a couple buddies, ill be around from here on in.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Protoboard. Normally components go on the insulated side, but they don't have to. Probably easier to visualise with them both placed and soldered on the "copper side". It doesn't matter, just try not to overheat them.

Buffers. Normally thought of as an amplifier with a voltage gain of unity (one). Can take a signal from a high impedance source ( that can't supply much current ) and while keeping the output voltage the same as the input enable it to drive loads that require more current (such as a speaker or motor or relay etc). Unless you know what you are doing there can be stability issues with using these kind of things.
There must be loads of opamp tutorial stuff if you search.
Golden rule, remember the output of an opamp (connected with feedback) will do all it can to keep THE DIFFERENCE IN VOLTAGE BETWEEN THE INVERTING AND NON INVERTING INPUTS AT ZERO.
Have fun ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.