A huge technological breakthrough!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I believe in the past there was some sort of conspiracy between companies that ensures that all PSUs die right after their 3-year warranty expires via careful calculation on the capacitors' life expectancy factoring in voltage, load and temperature. [/B]

re>PC PSU. Really I thought that responsibility was given to the dc fan makers? You sure you are not confused with the motherboard Mafia guys?:D

Originally posted by pdul

Point is: once but not again, for shure

The company will change its name and keep selling the crap.

I believe in the past there was some sort of conspiracy between companies that ensures that all PSUs die right after their 3-year warranty

I believe most companys dont care about making products that last. I bought a Sony turntable 2 years ago and it lasted a month past its warranty, I used it for maybe 20 hours ( its motor was shot), a Braun coffee grinder that broke 6 weeks past its 3 month warranty (no screws, you needed a hammer to open it). Printers whose heads die after a year. The list goes on. Im starting to believe corperations have departments that just figure out how to spend as little as possible on a product to make it last till the warranty is up, so you can go and spend more money. ( and fill up our landfills ).

Attachments

• chine.jpg
    chine.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 306
I remember the time when the "bad caps" were all the news. Didn't help that it was also a time when higher powered CPUs were entering the market, either. I have actually replaced a lot of capacitors (a few dozen) in various equipment because of that. In addition to replacing the capacitors, I also add a 10v,100uF SMD solid or two in parallel if the maximum operating voltage is below 8v. (I have a bag full of them - a few hundred - from a friend who once built logic circuits. He called it a bag of "noise-away".)

Are you sure it's not the power supply jack? Picked up a very nice laptop for $25 because of that problem. Very cost effective fix.

Not if you buy the parts from Acer. ^^

Power adapter from them costs SGD$120, that'd be equivalent to USD$80 i guess.

Battery, USD$130.

That's the prices they charge for replacement of spare parts if not under warranty... LCD panel SGD$300+

The power jacks on laptops are hard soldered to the board and can work themselves loose from it over time. This has happened to me and countless millions. The same has happened to the ethernet jack on my laptop. If you can get ahold of the service manual (dell has all of theirs online) it is very do-able to disassemble the unit and replace the jack. A two hour job, proceeding carefully, as complete disassembly is required, not for the faint-hearted. Of course, this may not be necessarily what's wrong, but it is worth a shot. If it is the ground pin that is not making contact, it is sometimes possible to troubleshoot by hooking up an old crt to the vga jack. This re-establishes the ground and allows power up. If so, you have found the cause.
This doesn't work all the time. Even if a solder reflow can solve the problem, I'd go ahead and replace the jack anyway, the plug gets loose-fitting over time. You will need a good soldering iron, as the ground plane sucks the heat from the joint area and there is usually also a couple of lugs soldering in that provide structural strength to the connection, these were pretty tricky to unsolder, lots of heat required. Here is a part shipped for $12 or so, get the proper one for your specific laptop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OEM-AC-DC-POWER...in_0?hash=item5ad07312c0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.