220v Variable Isolation Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

As I am designing my first tube amplifier, I am getting more and more scared of the lethal voltages involved. I have decided to make the investment of buying a variable isolated transformer, so I could easily 'slow start' my prototypes.

Unfortunately, such an item, available for online ordering, proves rather hard for me to find. Does anyone have a suggestion where I should look at, or any personal experience with such a product?

Many thanks

those variac&isolationtr.-combinations are used if you are exposed to mains voltages. From an insurance point of view this happens, as soon you open an amplifier case and connect the mains plug.
There is always touchable mains voltage in it, either per hand or with a tool.
regards

I'm actually thinking of building a bench power supply for testing line powered switchers. The features I'm thinking of are:
* 100-240v input with active PFC
* 0-400v at 0-10A (1500w maximum) for main power
* 0-30v at up to 3A for control power
* Both main and control outputs are isolated from the line and each other
* Minimal capacitance on outputs to reduce peak fault current
* Digital control with a microcontroller (maybe Arduino?) and optionally RS232 communication
* Ground fault protection on the main output (negative side connected to ground through about 10k resistance, power down if current exceeds 1mA)
* Emergency stop inputs, both open and closed loops
* Small and light enough to be portable (about the size of a shoebox or smaller and 20lbs or less)

It should also work for testing tube equipment.

It would probably turn out to be cheaper than a variac. And it would have isolation. And digital control.

It would probably be a long time before I actually build the bench power supply. For now, I just use an isolation transformer constructed from two old halogen lamp transformers to test line powered switchers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.