What Tektronix analog CROs are best? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2003, 09:12 AM   #1
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default What Tektronix analog CROs are best?

Guys,

I'm looking for a 100-200MHz double beam CRO, or higher.

From the eighties/nineties stuff, what is the best Tek in this category? I have the opportunity to select from a range, wouldn't want to get a bad one.......

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 2nd May 2003, 09:23 AM   #2
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi,

I used to like the 2445 and 2465 a lot. Reliable, bright, easy to use, portable (just)
The great thing about CRO's is their ability to show "how often" something happens. I sorely miss that on my digital scope: things that happen once a second now have the same insensity as ones that happen every uS. As as for Tek "digital phosphors", they're way beyond most DIY budget for a few years to come.

BTW chose one with good calibration. It's not easy to do yourself on this generation of Tek.

Cheers,
Old 2nd May 2003, 09:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have a 2446 and I'm really satisfied about it, since it has 4 channels and some useful features as cursor readout, auto-calibration and others.

Why do you want to take an analog one instead of a more modern DSO?

Cheers

Andrea
Old 2nd May 2003, 09:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Hugh,

best recommendation, though a bit above your spec would be the 2465B, 4 channel, analog only, 400 MHz. Tek were still making these up to 1996, they are sought after and still command quite high prices. The 2465A is a bit older but should be just as good. Other members of the 24xx series, the 2455, 2445 are also worth considering - still have 4 channels but lower bandwidths (250 / 150MHz respectively).

The earlier 22xx series and 23xx series from the eighties were ok, but not of the same quality as the 24xx series. Going back even further the 7000 series mainframes take a vast array of plug in modules for all sorts of purposes (differential, TDR, spectrum analysis) but are probably a bit too long in the tooth now, apart from the latter 7904A/7104.

James
Old 2nd May 2003, 12:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andypairo
I have a 2446 and I'm really satisfied about it, since it has 4 channels and some useful features as cursor readout, auto-calibration and others.

Why do you want to take an analog one instead of a more modern DSO?

Cheers

Andrea
Interesting article in this week's Test and Measurement World ---- one of the project managers from Teradyne said the following: "I have seen engineers spend hours, days and in one case several months because aliasing obscured the problem".

That may seem to "about sum it up", but in addition DSO's have a reputation for cumbersome menu-driven controls and high noise.
Old 2nd May 2003, 11:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Thank you one and all most sincerely for your help. I will look for a 24XX series. They sound just the go!

There are a couple of reasons I don't want digital CROs. First is cost; one would need to buy new in the small market of Australia, and second, they are complex and cumbersome to use, for the reason Jackinnj mentioned.

The one advantage with DSOs for audio might be the ease with which you can record waveforms onto a floppy. This is significant if you are doing lashes of documentation and need gif/jpeg oscillograms.

The Teks are wonderful CROs, beautifully built, and I'd rather a ten year old analog TEK for a moderate price than a high priced modern Japanese DSO - the Tek DSO is out of the question for its cost.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 3rd May 2003, 01:43 AM   #7
JohnG is offline JohnG  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a full-blown DSO at work (Lecroy LC574AL) with all the bells and whistle, or a lot of them, anyway. It's great in many ways, but it is cumbersome.

The digital display has much less resolution than your eye combined with an analog display, both horizontally and vertically. I can read a lot more with one glance into an analog display than a digital display, even though my DSO is nice enough that I can usually find what I'm looking for, if I know how to look.

The key advantages of a DSO are long record lengths, measurement capability, and the ability to record data. I bet you could do pretty well with the last two with an analog scope and a digital camera of sufficient resolution.

John
Old 6th May 2003, 08:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Guys,

I attended an Air Force auction today in Melbourne to buy a CRO, and came away empty handed. Here's why.

There were two lots of interest; the first, an older 2465A and a 2205. I set a price of $AUD600; it went for $675, about $US420. This was just outside my price bracket; the second CRO was very ho hum at about 100MHz. The second lot, much later in the day, was a 2252 and a 2235, both fairly ordinary CROs. That went for $AUD1000! (about $US620). At one stage a single 2235 went for $AUD475!! I checked out all of them, and they worked well enough, but none were offered with the necessary probes. Wow, silly money........

One must be patient. Something will come up, but I won't drop below 300MHz.

I learned a lot about the used CRO market in southern Australia today! Thanks to all who assisted.

Cheers,

Hugh
Old 6th May 2003, 09:54 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

jakinnj wrote:

Quote:
"I have seen engineers spend hours, days and in one case several months because aliasing obscured the problem".
I learned this the hard way too, while developing a class-d amplifier twelve years ago. I tried to get a clean rectangular out of a frequency divider (as the base signal to generate the triangular carrier) and it showed strange anomalies on an expensive LeCroy DSO.

With an oldfashioned analog Tek it could be seen that I was hunting a ghost

Regards

Charles

Hide this!Advertise here!