suggestions for transistor upgrade - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2003, 03:43 AM   #1
miner79 is offline miner79  United States
diyAudio Member

Default suggestions for transistor upgrade

Any thoughts on a the best sounding transistor to upgrade BC550C's used in a Creek OBH8 MM phono stage. There are 5 per channel in series as near as I can tell. I have some 2SC2547E transistors but apparently they are not direct replacements, because the preamp does not work with these.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob
Old 16th August 2008, 03:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

HI Miner
I'm looking for 2547E transistors , I would like to purchase a dosen or more would you please let me know were you buy your transistors .
May be if you not using them I would take them fro your hand .
Please let me know .
Regards
Old 16th August 2008, 08:29 AM   #3
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Hi,
Its the characteristics ( specifications ) that matter. Things like junction capacitance, hfe, fT etc.
Transistors don't ( some will disagree ) have a sound, they have properties determined by the laws of physics.
BC550 and 2SC2547E have different pin outs. With both in front of you flat surface uppermost, it's E,C,B for the 2SC2547 and C,B,E for the BC550. Google them for the data sheets.
You can't just swap transistors willy nilly without knowing how they are used in the circuit
Old 16th August 2008, 10:14 AM   #4
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
the 2547e may be a good substitute for the 550, but it depends very much on how the circuit has been set up to suit the parameters of the 550.
If the bias for the 550 suits the 2547e, it may turn out to be slightly quieter. But Vbe is significantly lower and this may upset the currents.

If you bend the legs of the ecb pin out, you can fit these.
With the flat face towards you,
Bend the left pin1 E towards you and slightly to the right.
Bend the middle pin2 C away from you.
Bend the right pin3 B slightly to the left.
You now rotate the body to 90degrees cf. the bc550 and the three pins fit the cbe pads arrangement.

If you want you can use the tube insulation from 0.6mm solid core over the legs to prevent shorting of the bent pins.

Hide this!Advertise here!