Wiring your own... (mumble)... transformers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2001, 02:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Question Wiring your own... (mumble)... transformers

Well, this is the situation: i need a 18-0-18v 400 (at least) VA transformer for my dual '96 JLH. This is not a "standart" voltage, so it has to be custom built. After some averiaguations, it's arround $40-$50 for an E-I. Double that for a toroidal..

Now, my dad asked "100 bucks? Why don't you just build your own? We made our own transformers all the time in University"... good question The maths behind the turns are not complicated, but, in practice, has anyone tried this out? I'd like a toroidal; it's a bit messy to work with, but since we're talking a few hundred turns i can live with that. E-I is out of the question; eddy currents are not easy to be made small enough on homemade transformers... or not?

So... Comments? Links? Prices? Thanks in advice!
Old 14th December 2001, 04:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

So get your Dad to wind them...
Okay, maybe not.
There have been several threads on this. Do a search and see if you can scratch up some basic info. I think there were links to sites with info. However, I think your basic problem is going to be finding cores, whether EI or toroid. Once upon a time, they were more available...nowadays, they're scarce.
One option is to take a transformer of known VA, strip the secondary (leaving the primary) and rewind an entirely new secondary. Keep a count of the turns you remove so as to be able to calculate the turns you'll need to get the right voltage. The current rating, of course, will depend on the gauge of the wire you use. I've done this. It works well, but is tedious.
Another possibility is to take surplus transformers that have a slightly higher voltage (say, 20V) and simply remove a couple of turns.

Grey
Old 14th December 2001, 05:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins
So get your Dad to wind them...
Okay, maybe not.

(...)
He'd be happy to supply me with literature on the subject, but i beleive that's about it

Today i'll storm the local transformer winding shops and see what i can find... the idea on the old transformer is good, specially if the VA ratings are met. I'll see what i come up with... my idea was to spend $20-30 for a ring core and the wire.

So, besides doing the maths well, picking a suitable wire & core, keep the turns tidy and covering as much as the core as posible, is there anything i should be aware of?
Old 14th December 2001, 05:16 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Local transformer winding shops?
Wish I had a few of those.
Nah, sounds like you've pretty much got it covered. Just take it slowly and do a good, clean job. You'll be fine.

Grey
Old 14th December 2001, 05:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

speaking of DIY transformer winding...I was even tempted to get a RUFF toroid winder but seems that their prices are quite steep
Old 14th December 2001, 11:59 AM   #6
Alex M is offline Alex M  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've just rewound a 500VA toroid. This was
originally 25-0-25V, but I wanted 35-0-35V plus a
low-current 45-0-45V winding.

It's a perfectly straightforward job, but it does
take forever to get twenty metres of 1.6mm wire
off the core and then wind nearly thirty metres
back on (and then 35 metres of the thinner stuff
on top). It's also a real pain to get the turns
tight and tidy, especially with the thicker wire.

cp642, what does the Ruff tool do?

Alex
Old 14th December 2001, 12:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Alex...the Ruff tool is a toroid winder for more info check out www.ruff-inc.com....... a good investment if you in some serious DIY stuff and the cash to spare
Old 14th December 2001, 08:15 PM   #8
blmn is offline blmn  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Lisandro,
Old 14th December 2001, 08:21 PM   #9
blmn is offline blmn  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Lisandro,

Its not so difficult to rewind an old transformer, specially if you find one with no veneer in the bobin.

If you make a good mounting job, there is no problem about leakage or eddy current.
Old 15th December 2001, 12:40 AM   #10
jduncan is offline jduncan  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jduncan
hold on......

if you were honestly concerned about $100 being the price for an 18-0-18 400VA toroid....they're not that expensive.

Plitron (to name one company...) make very good toroids that are $53 for all their 400VA toroids....This is pretty reasonable...

Hide this!Advertise here!