searching for the best components

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm commissioning a no compromise Gainclone, so I need to know which are the best components for each part.

I'll go for a completely dual mono version of the amp, with two LM3886.

Ok, let's start:

1) which toroidal? Do you think a couple of 300VA are good? What about this http://it.farnell.com/multicomp/mcfe300-30/trasformatore-300-va-2-x-30-v/dp/9532005 or this http://it.farnell.com/multicomp/mcfe300-35/trasformatore-300-va-2-x-35-v/dp/9532013

2) what kind of resistors? simple metal films like antinductive Dale 1% or better something like Shinkoh tantalum or carbon Kiwame or Riken Ohm?

3) for the booster BC Components caps or better Sanyo OS-CON?

4) what kind of filtering caps low value? The kit uses Wima MKP10, butI want something better. Evox perhaps? Is it possible to use Mundorf Mcaps?

5) ultrafast diods: Schottky MBR20200CT, On Semi MSR 860 or MUR860?

6) other smaller caps: the kit uses Rubycon ZA, what do you think about Elna Silmic II or Nichicon KG or KZ?

7) I want to use 4 10.000uF caps (20.000uF for each channel) what are the best between Vishay Gold For Audio and Kendeil?

thanks

doesn't matter

I don't think the parts will matter.

What you want is a nice layout and clean grounding, with a good power supply. All your fancy parts will not contribute as much as a good design.

When I made my first diy project, I was all about getting fancy parts, caps and wire (why didn't you ask about silver wire?) but you know what? Its execution of design that makes the most difference. When your amp hums your fancy caps and resistors won't make any difference.

Hi neong
Just have a look there for the toroidal :
http://www.antekinc.com/trans.html

IMHO ANTEK products are providing quite good quality, covering a wide range, delivery is fast using USPS and they accept Paypal.
Even with shipping cost included, the global price is rather less expensive than the one shown in Farnell Website.
Farnell are not including VAT and shipping cost.
Don't forget to convert $ to €.

I've bought some ;)

Mundorf Mcaps or others can be used in areas of the circuit where storage, DC or an otherwise polarized or bipolarized capacitor is not required. When choosing power supply capacitors it is good take into consideration the storage requirement for the circuit's power usage and the associated transformer.

Actually split bobbin EI transformers give better line isolation than toroids

foil shielded toroids improve line isolation at the cost of higher AC leakage current

magnetic field leakage coupling is easily avoided with spacing, lead dress and cheap sheet steel shielding if absolutely necessary

some high end audio amp manufacturers have resorted to putting EI transformers in cylindrical cans to bypass questions from people brainwashed to think toroids are superior

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.