Philips/Bcc 036rsp electrolytes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello!

anybody got experience with theese type of caps?

i´m about to buy a load of theese from a guy,

they are as i understand about 10 years old but has been on his shelf since new, how does that affect the performance of the caps?

here´s a picture i snatched on google to illustrate the type in question.

i have been working alot on vintage Studer equipment and have noticed extensive use of this cap model.

Attachments

• osn7wgt-img600x450-1188983463_9050061_resize-4.jpg
    osn7wgt-img600x450-1188983463_9050061_resize-4.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 105
They're a fairly regular type of polarised electrolytic capacitor. The datasheet is here. The only point of difference they have is an insulated shell (which is why they look different to most other caps).

Personally, unless the price is really good, I wouldn't get them. I used to buy bulk lots of caps like this, but I found that it is better to just buy them when I need them.

Also, due to their age, they will probably need to be reformed before use. Not to hard to do, but time consuming. They may also have a higher than normal ESR.

These capacitors used a thin aluminium oxide layer as a dielectric. Without use, this oxide layer dissolves, effectively reducing the capacitors voltage rating.

To reform the oxide layer the caps need to have a low voltage applied across them. As the oxide reforms, the voltage can be increased, until they are at their original rated voltage.

If you end up buying them, search the forum, someone must have posted the specifics of reforming an electrolytic capacitor.

ok i see...

the caps are too old. dont feel like spending time reforming.

i will look for something a little newer.
bought a couple of bags with other brands that was dated to 03 and didnt seem to be any problem with those. just put em in and fire it up.
sounded at best after a day or two.

i looked at the datasheet for the 036 caps. never heard of a "semi professional" capacitor before.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.