Help Identifying Cap.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need help identifying the values of this cap to replace it, I'm hoping that someone can help.......

Attachments

• dsc00364-1.jpg
    dsc00364-1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 213
To be honest the crossover is from a cheapo speaker that I am messing around with, I'm trying different things like bracing, stuffing, etc to see what effects they have on the sound.

I can take a pic of it later today (not at home right now...), but from memory the disc is about 3/16" dia and not very thick with no markings on the back.

From memory, there is one resistor, two caps (electrolytic I think...) with two inductors, again, I'll take a pic when I get home.

I remember when I first got into this I was changing all the perfectly good caps in amps I would pick up at yardsales and such. Years of reading books, and wasting money showed me quickly that ceramic disc caps are very rare bad, no point in messin with them. Focus on old electrolitic and film caps. Also mica caps tend to live a long life so save your pennies. Tantalum caps are worth checking. The best equipment I have used to date to check caps is a esr meter that I bought as a kit and built, you can get it here http://www.mainelectronics.com/esrkit.htm

This combined with a capacitance meter will save you big bucks, never mind changing every cap anymore most are still ok anyway.

that device is a "poly-switch" self resetting fuse. they frequently go bad in crossovers. they're used to protect the tweeter, and what frequently happens is once they activate, they cut the power going to the tweeter by about half. so somebody turns the highs up more to compensate, and sssssssstt! the poly switch burns open. it's better to use a lamp in series with the tweeter as the lamp will actually limit the current. poly switches just switch to a high resistance state and stay there until they cool down.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.