Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2009, 03:53 PM   #11
piero7 is offline piero7  Italy
diyAudio Member

Do yourself a big favour: change your signal capacitors with these PETP, they are simply awesome!! They cost like a couple cigarettes and are twice better than many other expensive and world famous capacitors! Bright, analitic and... I'm not able to translate in english what I feel with these capacitors!

Mounted on my Aikido yersteday and... byebye Audio Note, RTI and oil paper capacitors!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg condensatori-petp.jpg (88.8 KB, 2859 views)
Old 26th June 2009, 04:20 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Piero7 I agree they can be slightly bright sounding in some set-ups. However, I believe they are essentially neutral sounding with an occasional accentuation of the top end over the midrange. Detailed....totally agree probably as much info as you would ever want. If by analytical you mean detailed and very transparent sounding (hence the accentuated top end), I agree, but they are at the same time as musical sounding as the rest of the chain allows them to be, and will allow a fullrange of tonal colours to come to fruition.

Not perfect but brilliant at the price

Using Kiwames with their warmer more organic sound compliments the PETP's well.
Old 26th June 2009, 11:06 PM   #13
piero7 is offline piero7  Italy
diyAudio Member

Thanks for suggestion audiojoy!
Old 27th June 2009, 07:49 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audiojoy

Using Kiwames with their warmer more organic sound compliments the PETP's well.

This finally discouraged me from trying them. Cannot think of anything more coloured than Kiwames. If they need such an anti-dote...
Old 27th June 2009, 10:00 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Analog SA

On the contrary, IMHO the Kiwames are not coloured at all, they add natural tonality that is so lacking in so many components that throttle out this important aspect of sound reproduction. Furthermore,IMHO Kiwames only add subtle changes to the sound so they can never act in a way that would impede the overall quality/characteristic of a particular component match set-up. Other components play far too big a role for that e.g CAPS.

I have Kiwames in many of my set ups including the Pass lab amps and GAinclone, and yet I still strive for more inner tonal shadings and colours to bring even more emotional connection with the music than i get. This is especially so with the gainclone,which can still at times make you believe the two voices belong to the same person because of its slight inability to tonally flesh out (COLOUR) the bones that give us our individual voice characteristics. The Kiwames at least try to add a little bit more onto the bones, if still not enough due to the other inherent characteristics of the chip. So 'more coloured than', I really really do not think so.

We all have our own psychoacoustics perceptions of what is right and wrong,and our own experiences with different circuit set-ups, so it is very difficult to establish complete confirmation of a lot of the differences we perceive via mail chat alone. Perhaps one day soon we could do audio demonstrations of the differences that we hear via threads as back up to our comments.
Old 27th June 2009, 10:06 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

PS Please remember I did not say the PETP's are perfect as are none of the caps that exist. So you do still need tweaking and careful matching of components to get the very best out of them........as has always been the case since day one of our wonderful hobby.

But they are cheap and IMHO very very good for what they are.
Old 27th June 2009, 10:43 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Audiojoy

Of course our systems, perceptions and tastes differ. I simply avoid using parts with a strong flavour unless it is one i find very appealing

The Kiwames kinda worked for me at the time i had Lowther speakers. I haven't been able to tolerate them since but can well imagine they may be nice in some systems. The fleshing out you seem to crave will be easier achieved by tubes imo.

Btw, are you aware that Kiwame seem to be rebadged KOA Speer SPR2 and SPR5 which can be had for a fraction of the price from Mouser?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf res47.pdf (98.7 KB, 351 views)
Old 27th June 2009, 10:46 AM   #18
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
On the contrary, IMHO the Kiwames are not coloured at all, they add natural tonality
So they distort?
Old 27th June 2009, 11:16 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

I liked the sound of the Allen Bradley resistors with the glass bottles, coloured or not.
Old 27th June 2009, 11:29 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

SY

What has distortion got to do with what in my mind is perceived as realistic tonal colours to the sounds of voices and instruments????.........which is what the Kiwames IMO contribute towards. Perhaps I am not using the terms coloured and natural tonality correctly and it has become misleading, as in fact both could be interpreted as being the same , or the former is used to describe a sound that is more akin to unnatural/artificial.

Let me remind you that tonal/timbrel qualities is what helps one distinguish between different instruments, even between the sounds that emanate from two different aged woods used to make violins.

However, lets be careful here, I did make one assumption, and perhaps that was arrogant of me, i assumed the person who feels the Kiwames are coloured may not have fully appreciated the tonal qualities to which this resistor adds, since it is otherwise IMO quite neutral. So coloured might mean overly warm sounding in their book but accurate tonally in mine. However,having missed one of their mails above, I see that the idea of using tubes is in my line of thinking.

Once again trying to interpret what we all mean by our own psychoacoustic findings and terminologies can cause confusion and discrepancies in our findings.

This thread is regarding a potentially cheap alternative to the more exotic caps out there and i feel that this topic is now no longer part of this thread and perhaps it is best moved onto another thread???

Hide this!Advertise here!