Petp Capacitors-one Of The Best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truth hurts, doesn't it Ron.

Manufacture a little 2nd harmonic distortion and pass it off as "air". I have no problem with that as long as we are honest about it.

Nice, Thanks for being polite.
As I recall, tubes are prone to harmonics (distortion) too. BUT, that's OK, people like that distortion.

No need to be rude.
Perhaps you were just being sarcastic, dunno. Didn't see any emoji....

Ron

The original output caps are Elna Slimic 100uf 16V. Someone bypass them with K40y-9 0.47uf and told me it was better, smooth and tube like.

People will tell you all kinds of things. The reality is: keep the cap large in uF, small in size, and it will have no sound. If you want to alter the sound, a tone control or digital EQ will be more reliable.

Have you compare Auricap XO or similar quality caps with FT-3 or K72?

I am building another external crossover speaker, the old one used auricap XO and mundorf MKP.

The ideas of Russian caps are gaining on me, they are super cheap compare to boutique caps.

Maybe I try one for this crossover, should I use FT-3 or K72?

Thanks

Speaker caps are a different matter than coupling since the corner frequency will by definition be in the audible range- if you're building an established design, stick to what it was designed for. If you're developing things for yourself, use the mechanically tightest caps you can find. That generally excludes PTFE and anything "handmade" or "limited production." Good quality mass-manufactured polypropylene are the first choice. If it's a position which requires significant current (e.g., series feed to a high powered tweeter), foil and film, otherwise metallized. For positions like woofer zobels, bipolar electrolytics will work perfectly well.

All I know about transistors is that they never seem to sound as good as tubes. There doesn't seem to be any life left in the music with solid state. The K73's are great caps especially for the price. I bought up what I could find in the higher voltage stuff.

santodx5 they are 'super cheap' so just buy them and put them in and listen. If they don't work take 'em out.

Mach1,
how are you mate, it's coming up to the winter solstice in this part of the world, some religious types have tried to steal it, calling it the mass of Christ (strange a lot who practice it, don't seem to know). Hang loose and enjoy the music, made better with K73s' let the others theorise, it's their thing.

Halo,
I finally bought the K73-16 and K73-17. I want to use them to bypass power supply cap and slimic II output caps in my preamp. Have anyone use them to bypass Slimic II? Can you give me some feedback?

Why don't you just try them; they only cost peanuts. Seeking prior self affirmation is not going to change the results you obtain.

That's the problem at times. It's nice if you can measure , see the differences
& get the results but the problem with audio is that even if 2 different brand
of caps that measures the same will sound different, there's no way to explain.
Moral of it is if you guys still insist on etc etc perhaps a diy research or scientific
diy equipment hobby would be better of for you. Dare I say audio is not just about measurements only. There's lots of philosophy & analysis involved if you
care to think out of the box.

Cheers

Hi Andrew
With due respect , speaking of analog stage specifically,
Where is it that capacitors aren't doing signal filtering work that
does not affect the sound. Be it main supply, local decoupling,
bypassing, dc blocking. They all affect the sound, even the type
of transformer used affects the sound.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.