Petp Capacitors-one Of The Best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might i suggest you guys download RMAA (its free after all) and run some frequency response tests with a few different caps. My findings were the K73's roll off high end and low end..................
Did you disable, or remove, the RF attenuation filter to do the measurement?
Do you select the low end roll off below your audio band? Or did you use the DC blocker as an audio band filter?

Killingbeans,
do you actually listen to music at all because from your comments I don't think so, just look at what you wrote:

'I don't really care IF these caps sound good, I'm much more interested in WHY they sound good' - LOL.

I don't have the skills to design and build my own equipment so I modify commercial gear to give me personally a better/superior listening experience.

Obviously you get pleasure from theorising and that's fine by me but this thread is supposed to be about those who have ACTUALLY tried these caps and like or don't like them.

Would it not be good idea to have 2 forums - one for those who ACTUALLY listen to music and modify or create from scratch, equipment to enhance their listening experience and another for those who get off on theoretical discussions only and don't really give a damn about music.

Killingbeans reminds me of a character on Headfi who said "I don't trust my ears, I only trust the measuring instruments". So I asked him a very simple question "who listens to music in your home, you or the measuring instruments" - he never came back with an answer, not even a theoretical one.

Killingbeans,
do you actually listen to music at all because from your comments I don't think so, just look at what you wrote:

'I don't really care IF these caps sound good, I'm much more interested in WHY they sound good' - LOL.

I get what you're saying, I really do. But I think you're misunderstanding my statement.

My point is that IF a component sounds good is a personal thing. It is the most important thing for you as an individual, but it's useless as a baseline. Recommending a product to others on the basis of your own taste is pointless. It's much more interesting to find out WHY the component sounds good to some people. Once you have identified those parameters it becomes much easier to pinpoint the persons having the potential to benefit from your recommendation.

Forcing everyone to go through the process of trail and error is a waste of effort, that's all I'm saying.

It has nothing to do with whether or not I love music, because I DO love music. Trust me.

but this thread is supposed to be about those who have ACTUALLY tried these caps and like or don't like them.

Says who? Says you? So, let the focus group make the product, and sack all the rest?

Would it not be good idea to have 2 forums - one for those who ACTUALLY listen to music and modify or create from scratch, equipment to enhance their listening experience and another for those who get off on theoretical discussions only and don't really give a damn about music.

I hope you wrote that as a joke? The assumption that people automatically don't like music if they also enjoy theoretical discussions is incredibly arrogant...

Killingbeans reminds me of a character on Headfi who said "I don't trust my ears, I only trust the measuring instruments". So I asked him a very simple question "who listens to music in your home, you or the measuring instruments" - he never came back with an answer, not even a theoretical one.

Don't worry. I trust neither over the other.

Well, since the claim is extraordinary and no evidence is likely to be forthcoming to support it, you can file it in the same category as alien abductions with anal probing. The sneering false dichotomy presented (and that "measuring instruments" thing is pretty old and tatty) falls somewhat short of an argument reasonable enough to be worth responding to.

More accurate: an extraordinary claim offered without evidence should be dismissed.

If at a later time evidence of a quality commensurate with nature of the claim is offered, one needs to be open minded. But not until that happens, and it so rarely does.

Where that gets you is not wasting your time with nonsense.

I'm certainly a novice when it comes to audio design but I'm pretty good with a soldering iron. A while back, I built a cap cooker because I couldn't stand listening to caps before they had at least 200 hours on them. This little cooker runs around 10 volts DC through them in addition to an audio signal. What I found to my untrained ears is the K73-16s and K73-17s in various positions within my audio chain made me stop what I was doing and smile. Now I don't know whether that's distortion or some other phenomenon...all I know is I like it. If audio gear can reach out and grab me, then I'm all ears....:)

Sceptics please skip this reply.
fussy listeners read on :)
Shhhh, ill whisper. .
after finding the 6.8nf 1600v caps to make a big difference used as bypass. Thought id try them on my Rogers 149's crossovers. Ive had these speakers for about 20 years. Many others have come and gone but these I love for their ability to make vocals emotional.
In recent years I have tried various caps in them. Many altered the sound and whilst gained in some aspects took the magic away.
I settled on the non polar kit that wilmslow audio sell.
So what has bypassing these done?
Left the tone alone but added a complete layer of information. Not loud or forward or unbalanced, just there in the background as it should be.
A bigger step forward than anything else I have done costing hundreds.
I do believe I have stumbled upon (for me) the miracle ingredient.
Please pay no attention, it is all in my mind. Bold in your face expensive caps a better.
id be interested in a pm from anyone else who gives them a try. Keep the secret :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I did buy some Russian caps during the last few years. I did not buy the petp caps yet.
In the past i did replace the auricap and /or sonicaps in my Virtue sensation home cinema 2.1 set with a surplus ( 25 dollarcent) LCC Cps polystyrene much better.
I have a big box of MIT caps. Anyone interested? In my loudspeaker filter they were easily surpassed by an old (1971) paper cap made by Philips bought for a $ also in surplus store.
Now i am looking for caps between 100nF and 470nF for my TDA1541 dac chip.
The russian caps i really like the k75-10. Did not try the teflon and the k40y ones yet.
Greetings, eduard

Status
Not open for further replies.