Ming Da transformer problem? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2009, 01:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ming Da transformer problem?

I'm assuming for those of us Ming Da amplifier owners who have lost a power transformer (or are in the process of losing one) that we are S-O-L.
I've got a Ming Da MC-88C that recently blew a fuse. I found a fried screen grid resistor and replaced all of them while I was at it, and replaced the power tubes with a new matched quad, biased them to .41V and thought I was back in business. But evidently that wasn't the extent of the damage because the power transformer is seriously over-heating under load. It still plays and sounds great but after around 30-40 minutes the power transformer gets hot enough to burn you (I've only tested this once since I noticed it). Being able to replace known bad parts, and take measurements relatively safely, is about the extent of my knowledge. So, considering it still operates and sounds good, does that mean the transformer isn't a lost cause yet (assuming it is the transformer)? Is it possible that there is another problem causing the transformer to overheat, and there isn't even any damage to the transformer yet? I am addicted to the sound of this amp and am afraid to lose it. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10th May 2009, 03:10 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

you need to check your output tube idle currents. new tubes might be needing to be re-biased. most (not all) newer transformers have a thermal fuse in them. the temp rating of the thermal fuse is usually quite a bit below the melting point of the enamel on the wire. however, you have something drawing current. bad caps in the power supply could cause it, or like i said, your output tubes could be running a bit too much current.

Hide this!Advertise here!