Passive or Active Crossover before amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all looking for a bit advice on what is a pretty specific set-up.

I have built a set of open baffles which have 2 by 12 inch drivers for bass per side on a separate amp and two sets of main drivers which can be swapped out as desired, these consist of either 4 inch full range or 10 inch coax. The coax is for rock/orchestral and the 4s for jazz acoustic.

Now here is the issue:

I need to roll off the frequencies below 160hz, I don't need a steep cut basically 6 to 12db per decade would be fine, this way I can get cleaner sound from the dedicated gainclone amps and also keep the 4 inch full range drivers operating in a linear fashion. It wouldn't matter too much with the coaxs but it still should clean things up a bit. I know I could of course use a cap on the speakers, but I am really wanting to optimise the amplification so cutting out low frequencies before amplification is the way to go.

So I can use an active crossover ( high pass) or I assume a simple passive capacitor set up.

I realise that normally for full 2 or 3 way crossovers active is the go, but in this case I don't need a steep cut off , in fact it is not desirable, and I am trying to keep the whole signal path as clean as possible. The whole system is run from batteries and speaker efficiency is very high so a loss of a couple of db here and there doesn't bother me at all, the main issue is resolution and signal integrity.

I know that active in theory should be better, but then all I really need is high pass and even most active high pass filters ( I have seen) contain a series of small caps plus a couple of opamps, so when it is all said and done they must detract something from the signal as well.

Either way it is no great issue for me to go either way construction wise, all that matters is the final result.

So what do we think active or passive and if passive what way should I go (ie cap choice etc).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.