Linear regulated PSU for PC ~ 300W

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is anyone aware of any PSU kits that could be used for the purpose of powering up PC?
What I found so far is stuff that provides 5/12V but up to 1A, and it does not seem to be sufficient.
Can for example some amplifier PSU kits be adapted for such purpose?
I would not like to get involved in making PCB from some schematics, I would rather use some tried PSU kits and such if there is such a thing.

Buying a better SMPS psu for your pc will be way cheaper than a linear 300W psu. Or going for a semipro external soundcard.

Only even more expensive psu-solution that comes to my mind would be a 300W shunt reg, hehe. You don't want that ;)

Have fun, Hannes

QUOTE]OK, what about keeping switching PSU and adding some additional regulation and filtering just before going into the motherboard? Does it make any sense?[/QUOTE]

Makes a ton of sense. I've asked this before, I'll ask again. For folks using a computer as a source component, why is it different from any other source? For an upgrade, isn't one of the first things you go after is to provide clean power?
Ignore that it is a SMPS and enjoy the large benefits of simple mods.

SashaV said:
OK, what about keeping switching PSU and adding some additional regulation and filtering just before going into the motherboard?
Does it make any sense?

I don't think this would accomplish much. For instance, there is a DC-DC converter on the motherboard which converts 12V to a little over 1V for the CPU core. Same thing on video cards. Computers are, well... digital after all. ;)

Your best bet is probably a USB or firewire device.

compressit said:
QUOTE]OK, what about keeping switching PSU and adding some additional regulation and filtering just before going into the motherboard? Does it make any sense?

Makes a ton of sense. I've asked this before, I'll ask again. For folks using a computer as a source component, why is it different from any other source? For an upgrade, isn't one of the first things you go after is to provide clean power?

OK, so where do I find specific info on simple mods, any digrams, PCBs, assembled boards, etc.?

compressit said:
OK, what about keeping switching PSU and adding some additional regulation and filtering just before going into the motherboard? Does it make any sense?

Well, actually it doesn't make sense at all. The first problem is dissipation. With the currents consumed in PC's, linear regulation will easily add up to several counts of watts dissipation, even if you use post regulation.
Second problem is you don't resolve anything because the equipment inside the PC generates sufficient radiated and conducted emissions that a clean supply line will quickly turn just as "dirty" as all the others.
Third is size. You will *never* be able to fit all your transformers, regulators, capacitors and heatsinks in a reasonably sized box, to make any sense at all given the average size of a PC. You will go back to the Enigma-size computers. Let alone trying to fit it inside the PC box.

Linear Computer PSU: it's been tried before. Forget it.

You will *never* be able to fit all your transformers, regulators, capacitors and heatsinks in a reasonably sized box, to make any sense at all given the average size of a PC.

True, but it is DIY. Where there is a will there is a way. Flat desktop box would be preferred to a tower for something like this. BTW, I did mean modding an existing ATX supply, not adding iron or regulation. Nobody has done this? Nobody has noticed any difference? Hard to believe. Quality rectifier, increased/ better smoothing caps as a crude start.

h_a said:

That's already included in a high-quality PSU.

It seems more rewarding to me to go for a external soundcard. They suffer the least from such problems.

Have fun, Hannes

OK, but what sound card?
I am not aware of decent external sound cards.
What would be equivalent to let’s say Lynx AES16?
There are external PCI bus enclosures, but they are powered by their own switching power supply, so it brings me nowhere.

I did mean modding an existing ATX supply

Please stay away from this.

Switching power supplies are a really sensitive species and all PC-power supplies are made under extreme cost pressure. They're stripped down to the bare minimum of parts that work flawlessly and randomly exchanging parts can _only_ lead to problems - right down to a defunct unit.

And dangerous is it as well as it works directly with lethal voltages.

I just don't see why one would want to modify the PSU instead of going directly for an external soundcard.

Have fun and stay safe, Hannes

EDIT: I'm very sorry, I really lost track of your original reason that is to reduce jitter. Why do you think that you have too much jitter in the first place?

SashaV said:
I want to address dirty switching PSU so that sound card in PCI slot outputs digital signal on its SPDIF with less jitter.

If you were aware of the ultra-high speed switching stuff taking place on your motherboard, and particularly on PCI, AGP and memory buses, you would regard the worst Chinese ATX power supply as wonderful ;) (in fact the old school ones still use bipolar transistors for very smooth switching).

On the other hand, the own sound chipset which produces the analog outputs has a lot of high speed switching in it...

Bakmeel said:

Well, actually it doesn't make sense at all. The first problem is dissipation. With the currents consumed in PC's, linear regulation will easily add up to several counts of watts dissipation, even if you use post regulation.
Second problem is you don't resolve anything because the equipment inside the PC generates sufficient radiated and conducted emissions that a clean supply line will quickly turn just as "dirty" as all the others.
Third is size. You will *never* be able to fit all your transformers, regulators, capacitors and heatsinks in a reasonably sized box, to make any sense at all given the average size of a PC. You will go back to the Enigma-size computers. Let alone trying to fit it inside the PC box.

Linear Computer PSU: it's been tried before. Forget it.

I am not talking about squeezing linear PSU into PC case, it can remain outside, so the size and heat dissipation are absolutely not an issue.
In this light, is there readily available kit, anything that will not require lots of labor and investment (like making PCB)?

SashaV said:

I am not talking about squeezing linear PSU into PC case, it can remain outside, so the size and heat dissipation are absolutely not an issue.
In this light, is there readily available kit, anything that will not require lots of labor and investment (like making PCB)?

Well, the blunt answer to that question is: No, and No. :flame:

Don't take this personally, because the pursuit of having a pristine power supply in a computer is -from an audiophile point of view- understandable.

The issue is that the need will not justify the means, and there are better ways to get improvements from your PC sound if that is what you pursue.

Linear PS for PC

I am doing just that with my PC in an Antec case using the Peter Daniels linear supply. He posted the schematic a few weeks ago.
Also see GStews posts on AA concerning the same issue. He has made numerous mods in this area.
Contrary to naysayers this does improve ripple and make noticable improvements in SQ if that is what you are after.

h_a said:

EDIT: I'm very sorry, I really lost track of your original reason that is to reduce jitter. Why do you think that you have too much jitter in the first place?

Jitter is clearly audible, I used CD player with digital input board to compare one the same track being played from player’s tray, and being ripped and played from PC into digital input.
Tray is superior.

Re: Linear PS for PC

RayBan said:
I am doing just that with my PC in an Antec case using the Peter Daniels linear supply. He posted the schematic a few weeks ago.
Also see GStews posts on AA concerning the same issue. He has made numerous mods in this area.
Contrary to naysayers this does improve ripple and make noticable improvements in SQ if that is what you are after.

Thanks, I have lots of reading to do.
It had to happen sooner or later.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.