Power generator for audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all
First I'ld like to apologize for my english.
I have an idea :idea: of making Line Conditioner for purify power supply, for audio. How abouat it if I use brushless dynamo for generated power supply. and drive it by motor. Because of no electrical coupling, only mechanical coupling between motor and dynamo, the source and supply is completely isolated. And for the effect of inertia of both rotor's mass, it would be act as line stabilizer, too. The surge or transient from source side maybe less affect to supply side.
I'll please to see any openion. :wave2: I not yet do it, but if there are anybody interest this idea, then they can do it.

Why this thread has not been replied?

Is the first post a naïve question?

I think that replying these naive questions helps other non-technical users like me to understand the role of a power supply and their functioning.

I would really appreciate electronic engineers helping to clarify this, although I understand that a forum is not an ideal place to teach everything on electronics, but maybe some basic clues.

I do understand that you will need a high rpm to achieve 110 or 220 volts in alternating current.

There is also the initial torque problem. I think you will need some electronic circuit to control power being applied to the motor during the start and after that (depending on the load you will need to increase/decrease power on the motor).

There is also a cost problem. You will have huge magnets and moving parts. That means also a lot of energy being loose with friction, heat and noise (this is also a problem with conventional power supplies, except noise, to a certain extent...)

If you want mechanical/electrical decoupling from the wall wart, you will need also two earth connections to collect and discharge the electrons of your internal circuit. That means more cost with copper bars etc.

Power supplies with transformers, diodes and capacitors are cheaper, smaller and silent.

I think it is not a bad idea, though. In fact, PSAUDIO have power supply regenerators that have a similar concept, but using power circuits instead of motor/dynamo.

But, would this be viable for direct current? This is a real question, not rhetorical.

If you use electromagnets, I think you can supply direct current without ripple, but you are going to have switching noise.

I thought that connecting several 3 phases dynamos would produce an stable direct current. Is that correct?

Is it possible to avoid power supply capacitors with this arrangement?

Cheers,

Jose

The machine you are looking for is called a motor-generator set and is technology that dates back at least a hundred years.

The RPM sets the frequency, the exciter current sets the terminal voltage (and power factor in phase synchronised networks).

With modern power conversion technology there are far easier ways to skin this cat, M/G sets are heavy, noisy, and tend to have a fairly high output impedance compared to the grid feed.

TBH, with proper design, it is not hard to design a supply that provides effective isolation from the grid just using normal RFI filtering, transformers, rectifiers, caps and regulators, the line voltage side of a power supply for audio is just not very interesting in an engineering sense because it is well understood and is essentially a solved problem.

Yes, if you can tolerate 30% ripple, you can use a three phase supply and bridge to produce DC without caps, and as the ripple will be at ~300hz, you can use smaller caps even if you need low ripple (You see this all the time in motor drives and arc lamp supplies), in fact you can use phase shift networks before the bridge to produce a 12 pulse rectifier that has lower ripple (but nasty current mode harmonics) which is often done when driving things like arc furnaces.

All of this is gross overkill for the few KVA needed for even a butch domestic audio system, but if you are designing for something needing a MW or so of DC, then multi pulse rectifiers become a serious option.

Regarsds, Dan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.