Do we really need high priced "audio grade" power resistors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have some MPC 0.22 Ohm, 5 W resistors made by Fukushima Futaba. These are low inductance type resistors widely used in power amplifiers as output stage emitter resistors. I measured their and other power resistors' inductance using an Agilent LCR meter.

http://www.pansonaudio.com/Docs/Power Resistor Inductance Measurement.pdf

Measurement results show that there is no big difference for inductance between MPC resistor and a cheap wire wound resistor. Is it worth to pay higher price for MPC resistors? Or I missed something?

Some will say yes and others will say no !
So where will that get you? Might be better to try the different types yourself as you have samples and form your own opinion.

Some have found RF oscillation in some circuits using ordinary wirewounds but many seem to have no problems. Another $64,000/- question !;)

panson_hk said:
I have some MPC 0.22 Ohm, 5 W resistors made by Fukushima Futaba. These are low inductance type resistors widely used in power amplifiers as output stage emitter resistors. I measured their and other power resistors' inductance using an Agilent LCR meter.

http://www.pansonaudio.com/Docs/Power Resistor Inductance Measurement.pdf

Measurement results show that there is no big difference for inductance between MPC resistor and a cheap wire wound resistor. Is it worth to pay higher price for MPC resistors? Or I missed something?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71189&perpage=25&highlight=&pagenumber=559

post 13954 and down in that subject

Resistors do sound different. I haven't tried many of the expensive brands, but I would recommend:

-MILLS non-inductive wirewound for high powered applications. Common in crossovers and power tube bias circuits. Very nice sound, a little smooth in my opinion
-MUNDORF supreme is a great resistor, it betters the MILLS in my opinion - faster, more precise, better soundstage.
-AMTRANS carbon film where very little power dissipation is needed. Despite the standart thinking that carbon resistors lack detail, distort and have a "warm" sound, the amtrans is very detailed, fast and may be too analytical sometimes.
-Vishay SMA0414 is an excellent metal film resistor. Very neutral and detailed. Not expensive at all. We use it in our hi-fi devices.

-For bang-for-the-buck resistors, search for NOS Philips, Draloric, Vishay, metal films.

The sellers of inflated priced resistors think yes. They need their pockets lining with gold lace.
Non inductive wire wound resistors ... a wound component is inductive unless bifilar wound.The bifilar coil (more often called the bifilar winding) is used in modern electrical engineering as a means of constructing with negligible parasitic self-inductance. No idea why anyone in the LF and Audio range would find any advantage of this. They are used in RF applications to avoid parasitic noise.

absolute yes , you need a good sound resistor , you can find on digikey too
expert diy tell you this , troll will negate for ever ....
I suggest you to try for yourself You will find that work ....report back please ;)
There is absolutely no scientific evidence that there is any improvement in sound using resistors of different inductance in output stages, assuming that the amplifier is designed competently. If there is, please post the links to the sources. I am keen to learn any facts based on science.

There is absolutely no scientific evidence that there is any improvement in sound using resistors of different inductance in output stages, assuming that the amplifier is designed competently. If there is, please post the links to the sources. I am keen to learn any facts based on science.

DIYAUDIO work is the evidence !!
I suggestion you to read some thread like John Curl's Blowtorch
to learn some more about science apply to sound .....

I have some MPC 0.22 Ohm, 5 W resistors made by Fukushima Futaba.
(...)

Futaba are industrial parts from a reputable manifacturer, not 'audiophile' parts.

If audiophiles use them is probably because they sound good.

Once I've used mostly 'audiophile' resistors and most of them are not neutral and are only useful for 'voicing' gear to achieve a particular effect.

Today I use quite exclusively industrial resistors and not even a single brand/series combination sounds exactly the same.

Also between industrial parts there are some that costs a lot, it's due to materials/manifacturing techniques used, tolerances and to lower production volumes, has nothing to do with 'gullyble' audiophiles.

Some costly industrial parts makes the difference like Caddocks MP series as amplifiers out resistors or Vishay Precision Group Z-Foil on signal path.

Also an industrial part that costs a lot not necessarily is suitable for audio or better sounding, most of the times cheaper parts sounds better.

You have to try them and decide after measuring AND listening.

Which resistor to use is up to you, depeding on your target budget and sound quality you want to achieve.

Last edited:
There is wisdom in ClaveFremen's words. Many or some claimed to be "audiophile" resistors will add some of their signature, although all resistors do it.

I've done A-B tests with low value resistors compared to a piece of wire and my bet goes for the Vishay SMA0414, a very neutral sounding resistor and pretty cheap.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.